FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By lucyfire7
Hello everyone, I'm a new VFT grower. I had my first VFT 2 weaks ago and now I can care my VFT with some basic skill. But I want to know if there is anykind of sickness that can happen to the VFT? Can you list some of them and the solutions?
By pieguy452
Well, there are quite a few things that make a flytrap look "sick". A fungal infection, like root rot, can cause parts of a flytrap to brown and yellow. There are also pests that damage a flytrap, with things like the flytrap beginning to deform its new growth and spots on the old growth. There are many cases of a flytrap being sick on the forums, look around and you will find photos that show much more detail than my descriptions :)
pieguy452 liked this
By parker679
There are a lot of issues that can strike your plant. The issues and solutions are easy to list but the symptoms are pretty extensive and many times the same symptom could be one of several issues. The best solution is whenever you see something you're concerned about just take a good clear photo and post it here.

With that said, here are some things to look out for:

Too much water: You likely won't see the symptoms until rot sets in, when it does you will see leaves going limp even though the soil is plenty moist. If the rhizome starts to rot you run a good chance of losing the plant. Solution: Water less! Keep it moist.

Too little water: Leaves will start to look dry and less plump. Usually comes from oversight, over watering is much more common. Solution: Water more, keep it moist.

Sun burn: Just turning red is normal and not a problem. Actual sunburn is seen as darkened/ dying areas on leaves. Seen either near the base in the case of a plant not planted deep enough or randomly all over in the case of a plant not acclimated properly. Unless the plant is very small it rarely results in death, just an ugly plant until new leaves grow in. Solution: Be sure to know how the plant you received was grown and acclimate it accordingly.

Insect / Animal damage: This one is obvious. Leaves may be partially eaten or all of them are chewed off, or they have small dots of damage from sucking insects. With a few exceptions(mites, aphids) this usually doesn't kill the plant unless it's really small. Solution: Depends on the specifics. Mites, use a miticide. General insects use an insecticide like acephate. Birds, deer, cats, etc., find a way to keep them away from your plants.

Fungus: Random dying spots not attributed to sun burn. Root rot is a type of fungal infection, though a serious one. For soil level and below use something like daconil spray. For leaf based infections you can use a sulfur based powder or spray.

Mineral burn: Consistent malformed leaves. Small undeveloped traps. Generally a bad looking plant. If caught early you will likely not lose the plant. Solution: Un-pot and rinse the plant in rain/RO/DI water. Re-pot in an approved CP soil mixture. Also, don't fertilize your fly traps.

Not enough sun: Long skinny floppy leaves. Sometimes shorter wide leaves with small traps. It can really vary depending on how lacking the light is. You need to know what cultivar you have and know what it should look like. Some always grow long spindly leaves no matter what. Solution: Duh, give it more light. ;)

Some things that may look like issues but are normal:

Trap death due to age: Trap starts turning brown at the edges. Or it just won't close anymore or starts turning outwards. You should still be seeing new healthy growth coming from the growth point. Solution: Don't worry so much, it happens.

Trap death due to indigestion: Trap closed on a big bug or couldn't seal all the way. Starts turning brown just around the trapped bug. Solution: Don't worry so much, it happens.
parker679, parker679 liked this
By parker679
pieguy452 wrote:Well, there are quite a few things that make a flytrap look "sick". A fungal infection, like root rot, can cause parts of a flytrap to brown and yellow. There are also pests that damage a flytrap, with things like the flytrap beginning to deform its new growth and spots on the old growth. There are many cases of a flytrap being sick on the forums, look around and you will find photos that show much more detail than my descriptions :)
Thanks Abe. This is what happens when I try replying at work, I end up taking 45 minutes to make the post. ;)

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!