FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By David F
Where exactly do you live that inhibits you from growing them outside, and at least part season?
By Goden
North Vancouver, Canada. Quite infamous for being one of the rainiest cities in this part of Canada. There are times when it can be almost a month until the next sun-shine. I simply cannot grow VFT's outside.

I also live in an apartment with extremely limited space on our balcony.
By Kathleen13
New question on an old thread (I'm trying to find answers before I post!). I've begun noticing a similar situation with my VFT, but in my case, it is just the traps that I know are the oldest ones on the plant that are randomly closing, and they are doing it V-E-R-Y slowly (taking days to close) sometimes with some black beginning on their edges or on the petioles beneath them. Do old traps that are getting ready to die off sometimes just slowly close without being triggered, or is this a concern?
By boggyboy72
Kathleen13,

I'm kind of a beginner myself,but that sounds like the natural die off of old worn out traps to me.

And since I had thought of a possible answer to Godens problem before I saw the date, I'll just throw it out there and maybe it will help somebody one day.

I'm not sure if a fruit fly or gnat could even set off a good sized trap or fail to get out before it could close all the way,but if you have any 'dews in with the VFTs look and see if they have caught anything.

I would think if there are any fruit flies or gnats around,some of them will show up on the sundew and then you'll know.

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!