FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By SinJin
I was doing research on creating hybrid sundews and finally found a source that documents the chromosome counts of many common types, from capensis to peltata.
You guys should check this out if you are interested, it's pretty cool!
http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/Publica ... umbers.pdf
Plus, Flytraps and D. x Obovata share the same number of chromosomes (15 pairs, so 30 total) and are in the same family :o. Could that mean they could be hybridized?!
OH and Darlingtonia also has 30 chromosomes, that would be so cool to make a freak hybrid!
SinJin, SinJin liked this
By Sander
Close enough wont cut it, it has to be an exact match to have fertile seeds, and even then (if they are farther away in the phylogenetic tree) chances are reasonable u get "mongol" plants, which as koalie mentioned often have a short lifespan due to deformities or disturbed metabolisation.
By SinJin
Hmmm, well if only there was a sarracenia with 30 chromosomes..
I'm pretty sure the only ways to achieve that is through a mutation or genetic modification right?
And what's this I hear about Dionaea x D. Regia? Are there any references, I'd love to see how it was achieved!
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!