FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
Just wondering if anyone has any pictures (and/or) information on how long the roots grow in adult D. capensis. I am trying to figure out a pot size for my young capensis before I move it indoors for the winter.

Thanks in advance.
By SundewWolf
Mine is in a 3 to 4 inch deep pot (from what I can remember) and the roots already reached the bottom. It didn't seem to affect the plant too bad though (I know some plants start to freak out and get sick when their roots can't grow down into any more soil). Also it seems to already be almost adult size.

If I chose to repot mine soon, I would probably go with around a 6 inch deep pot. I couldn't see a single capensis needing anything deeper.

It might eventually start to propagate by budding off, so maybe you can plan ahead and get a pot that has enough horizontal room for some splitting too.
By roarke
Starchy wrote:Just wondering if anyone has any pictures (and/or) information on how long the roots grow in adult D. capensis. I am trying to figure out a pot size for my young capensis before I move it indoors for the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Measure your length between your wrist and the nail of your middle finger. This is how long your drosera capensis will be after a while.
By SundewWolf
roarke wrote:
Starchy wrote:Just wondering if anyone has any pictures (and/or) information on how long the roots grow in adult D. capensis. I am trying to figure out a pot size for my young capensis before I move it indoors for the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Measure your length between your wrist and the nail of your middle finger. This is how long your drosera capensis will be after a while.
I have a black container (converted large/tall plastic drinking cup with holes on the bottom) with almost the same length you described. ( I used one like it for my vft) . I figured that's about 6 inches, lol, but I'm not sure. I don't have a ruler and I'm bad at measurements.-_- but yeah , wrist to middle finger nail sounds right.

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!