FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By thackeray2013
Hi Everyone,
Finally I have managed to get some irish peat moss :D (it is "top quality sphagnum peat moss") and is organic :!: with no fertiliser or anything added. Quite by chance I found an entire bag of it at the end of a friends garden, I've been trying to source it locally (Essex-UK) for ages to repot 'Ruprect' my fly trap (which is thriving! horah!)
Does this brand sound like the right one? :?:
Kindest Regards
Adrian. :)
By Lee
Hey,

A fellow Essex dweller! I haven't tried evergreen as I'm a fan of j. Arthur Bowers Moss peat, just to be sure does it say sphagnum Moss on the back?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
Lee liked this
By thackeray2013
Thanks for this. I'll get my friend to check the back of the pack I borrowed it from. I don't understand how the fly trap has survived, the pot it came in said its potted in 40%peat. The tag from B+Q was also wrong, saying give it tap water and repot it into normal compost!
By thackeray2013
I don't usually complain at all, but I felt like writing to them and showing them the error of their ways - its setting people up to fail. I've read elsewhere about flushing the peat moss through before use, is that something I should do also? This website is so helpful, I wouldn't know what to do if I hadn't read on here first. I'm really pleased with the traps progress and never thought it would grow so well. I considered cutting the bottom of the plastic pot and simply placing it in another larger pot and covering it with the peat if you see what I mean. I don't want to disturb the root system and considering its near dormancy now (August) I didn't want to be confused with wheter I'd killed it or it was going into dormancy? Does that make sense?
Ade.
By Lee
It should start dormancy over here at around October with this current heat besides the other day, flushing the peat Moss isn't a bad idea as long as you use rainwater or RO water as it removes some of the impurities in the soil

By Lee
I found a bag of this soil at a local garden centre so I thought I'd check it out for you and it looks great so use it, it's 100% sphagnum Moss peat so it'll be fine

By thackeray2013
Thanks for the replies, my mate thought I'd gone crazy. We were sitting drinking coffee in his garden and I saw the bale at the end of his garden and just sat there staring for a minute. Its been so hard to obtain it here. He said "you okay?" I replied "Moss. Irish Peat Moss." He still didn't get it and even to the point of me putting handfuls into a carrier bag was like "you okay?" Thanks again!
By Lee
It's actually cheaper than what I pay for mine so I should be thanking you, there's a review on the soil here:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.ph ... opic=46351

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!