FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By qbaker
Hello all-

Purchased a pitcher plant. A Nep. Possibly "Ventrata". Had pitchers on it. Died last winter. I expected that especially with early daylight savings time in NY. But no (new) pitchers next spring. It produced pitcher babies about the size of ladybugs, then they just wither and die.

Care:
Southern Kitchen Window
Distilled Water Only
Kept evenly moist, never let go completely dry.
Cut back some of the leaves that have already produced pitchers that have died, to encourage growth
Cut away dead or dying pitchers at tip of leaves.

Question:
Why won't it re-pitcher?
Is this a highland or lowland variety? (Assuming this is a Ventrata).
Could the problem be that I need a highland variety for my geographic conditions; something a little more hardy to NY conditions?

Thanks!
Last edited by qbaker on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lee
Well I'm sorry for your problems but on my ventrata only one pitcher has shriveled up since I got it and that was around the time we had little or no sunlight through that window now it's outside in full sunlight and is producing medium sized pitchers so my advice is more sunlight

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
By markus13
From what I've found the main reason that causes pitchering problems in Neps is not enough light or not enough humidity. I have a bunch of Neps in a west window (4 hours of direct sun light max) and all of them are pitchering very well, but I also mist them at least twice per day to help with the humidity.
By Lee
Humidity isn't a problem for me, living in England we have a low humidity all the time but mine don't care much

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
Lee liked this
By qbaker
markus13 wrote:From what I've found the main reason that causes pitchering problems in Neps is not enough light or not enough humidity. I have a bunch of Neps in a west window (4 hours of direct sun light max) and all of them are pitchering very well, but I also mist them at least twice per day to help with the humidity.
Do yo mist them in am/pm?
Do you mist them in winter? (I'm thinking its cold in NY, but because of that we turn our heat on this can take away humidity and necessitate continued misting, "if not more" in the winter)?

Thanks for your reply -;)

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!