FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Goodkoalie
So yesterday when i got home from school, i asked to grow to the store to get some ro water. (I was at my dad's house that weekand, plants are at moms house.) My step dad yelled that they just got back from the store, and would not go back that day. When i went to check on my plants, all the new growth was all sad and droopy. They looked so sad, plus i did not want to lose my sarracenia awsome fall leaves, i watered all my plants with my tap water. :cry: Will they be ok, i gave them more water today. I figred tap water is better then the plant in a block of peat moss rise from it's pot like ice.(Some of the pots were like that). I have very hard water, it is 450 ppm. I might be able toget water tommorw, if not, then i am scewed and will not get any for a few weeks. :cry:
By roarke
Why didn't put some plastic bottle before you water them, to make a some sort of a green house, before you water them. Now you are at a risk. You must not water the plants again with tap water, try to get some distiled water or from a air conditioner. I hope your plants will do fine.
roarke liked this
By parker679
They should be fine, and you're right, bad water is better than no water.

It's mineral build up more than high TDS water that's the problem. Now of course using high TDS water regularly will cause a build up, and the higher the TDS the quicker the minerals will build up.

Just buy extra water when you can and flush the soil really well being sure to discard the run off.
parker679 liked this
By Goodkoalie
roarke wrote:Why didn't put some plastic bottle before you water them, to make a some sort of a green house, before you water them. Now you are at a risk. You must not water the plants again with tap water, try to get some distiled water or from a air conditioner. I hope your plants will do fine.
Yeah, i was thinking of that, but i decided against it becuase of the heat, (today it was 99 degrees farinheit 37 celsious). I think they will be fine, got new water today.
By Dionae
All I use is tap water on everything now. My collection was getting too big for RO watering everything. My waters PPM is around 130. My plants get regular flushing from rain though. Its been a very wet summer for me this year.
Dionae liked this
By Goodkoalie
Dionae wrote:All I use is tap water on everything now. My collection was getting too big for RO watering everything. My waters PPM is around 130. My plants get regular flushing from rain though. Its been a very wet summer for me this year.
Thank you so much, i was worried about my plants all though school today.
By PlantMan
Watering your plants occasionally with water from the tap is harmless! As a matter of fact, I usually water my vft's from the hose in between rains. :D
:? In hindsight, perhaps I should get some distilled water...
By Goodkoalie
You are luck then, my ppm is almost 500 ppm, about 400-450 above what cps like. as a expirement, i put my tap water in a pan, and boiled it all the way down, i will need to post the pics of the minerals in my water, the black pan was a pure white. All those minerals going in to my cps ;( Still, i lost no plants from the tap water.
Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!