FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By sbrooks
So I couldn't help myself. As much as I don't like growing Venus Flytraps from seed, I couldn't resist the temptation of getting some potentially really interesting flytrap from Matt's seed mix. While I was at it, I decided to order some Darlington Californica seed, even though I've never grown one of these. So I shot first, and now I'm asking questions.
I tried to find some info on the forums, and there is a Care Guide that mentions germination of seeds; with all due respect to the author, I'm kind of hoping that he is wrong, and that successful germination doesn't require stratifying the seeds in wet sphagnum in my fridge for several weeks, hoping that they somehow avoid mold and germinate. I know some insist upon stratifying Dionaea seeds, while others don't. So I was hoping that Cobra seeds can be germinated more easily than the fridge technique? And if the fridge is necessary, can I do peat moss instead of sphagnum? Me and sphagnum don't play well together. Or could I just attempt to stratify them in the temperatures that I will keep my flytraps at for dormancy (35-55 degrees)? Any help would be appreciated.
By mnwatson1
I stratified half of mine and planted half right away. They pretty well all took about a month-6 weeks to germinate, and they pretty well all germinated. While it's recommended, it's not 100% necessary. :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4
mnwatson1 liked this
By sbrooks
Thank you! I may attempt to germinate half now, and if that don't work, I'll try stratifying down the road.
By mnwatson1
They are EXTREMELY slow growers! My 3 and 4 month old seedlings really don't look much bigger than those a couple weeks germinated, just a second or third carnivorous leaf/pitcher.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4
By el_oscuro
Reading the directions here for starting Flytrap seeds, I got one of those goofy terrariums at thinkgeek.com http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/76c9/? ... lant%20set. Of course the directions are wrong, and there is no way you can grow any pitcher plants. But as a seed starter, it seems ideal. It comes with the soil, some seeds and such. To stratisfy my Darlington Californica Seeds, I just planted them in it an put it in a sheltered sunny location for the winter. Our winters here in N. Virginia can be plenty cold with lots of snow, but the dome should protect the seeds somewhat. Heopefully I'll have baby pitcher plants in the spring.

I have succesfully grown dewthreads (Drosera filformis) from seed with this technique. In fact, it worked so well that I have dewthread "weeds" growing in my other pots.
By cryostasis
Mine after a a few months germinated but they died after three or four months. Cannot keep up with the warm climate here in aisa. Even tried placing ice cubes when the weather was so hot to keep the roots cold.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!