FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Idontkno23
Something that has been puzzling me with a few flytraps I have is a lack of coloration after them growing for a bit here. I am in north texas and they get sunlight from 6 am - 8 pm every day, they just dont have as much color as when they arrived.

They all are producing nice big traps, but they are just green, I don't get it :/

A2 - The newer growth is the lighter colored traps in the center, some of the older traps are dying off

Just a typical, received the plant with a nice red coloration and after a few months the coloration is just completely gone. The traps are about x2 the size and look healthier but just have no color

Big mouth - The completely green traps it is growing are bigger then the traps that it came with, but just have little to no coloration

I mean I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, they aren't going to get much more sun then what they are getting out here in Tx, any recommendations?
By parker679
Trap color comes from a combination of genetics, light, temperature, soil pH, and "feeding".

My understanding is that optimum color comes from high light, cooler temps, low pH, and not capturing any bugs.

This is why fall traps tend to be the nicest. They are still getting plenty of light but the temps are cooling off and the bug population is probably declining. It's also why plants grown in greenhouses tend to look amazing color wise.

I think your plants look great so you're really not doing anything wrong. I bet you'll get some nice color as fall temps start rolling in.

I've found that "Fine Tooth X Red" tends to be a standard looking VFT that always get's nice red interior traps. It's a year round prostrate grower though in case that's not your thing.
By BlogsfromaSingleMom
My plants' new traps can take several weeks for the insides to color up. Only the really old traps have good color. If those traps are catching bugs, they might be loosing any color they have gained while they're closed up
By Idontkno23
parker679 wrote:Trap color comes from a combination of genetics, light, temperature, soil pH, and "feeding".

My understanding is that optimum color comes from high light, cooler temps, low pH, and not capturing any bugs.

This is why fall traps tend to be the nicest. They are still getting plenty of light but the temps are cooling off and the bug population is probably declining. It's also why plants grown in greenhouses tend to look amazing color wise.

I think your plants look great so you're really not doing anything wrong. I bet you'll get some nice color as fall temps start rolling in.

I've found that "Fine Tooth X Red" tends to be a standard looking VFT that always get's nice red interior traps. It's a year round prostrate grower though in case that's not your thing.
The cooler temps must be the problem. Tx summer is upper 90s-100s until late august, hopefully the cooler temps will color them up.
By dogzodiac
I agree with the cooler temperatures. I have a good sized Big mouth plant, and I too have noticed that the red colour slowly disappeared in the high temperatures that we had in July in the UK. Now our weather is cooler, The traps are starting to colour up again
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!