FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
I purchased a Cephalotus from FTS a few weeks ago. It looked like this when it first arrived...
DSCF4556.JPG
DSCF4556.JPG (129.67 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
That photo was taken on my deck with natural light, but I've been keeping it indoors under my Quantum Badboy grow light because Matt said they do well with artificial lighting and I don't have any place outdoors I could put something so small where it would be safe from squirrels, sunburn, etc. I've never grown anything in pure LFS before though and I'm afraid I might have been keeping it too wet. I've only been watering it with rainwater when the top feels dry to the touch and the pot feels really light, which usually works out to about three times a week. I'm especially concerned though now that some of the little pitchers seem to be turning brown...
DSCF4594.JPG
DSCF4594.JPG (187.74 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
This photo was taken indoors under fluorescent light, so the colors look pretty harsh. It also seems to be losing a lot of its bright green color, but that's not surprising since everything I grow under that light always seems to turn red. Are the brown parts anything to be worried about though? Is that what crown rot looks like? The centers of the two rosettes still seem to look okay, so I'm hoping those are just older pitchers dying off maybe? Do I need to be doing anything differently?
By Snap Traps
Crown rot is when the centre of the rosette rot away. The browning of pitchers are normal, it happens because the pitchers are too old.
By plantfreak1
And the plant may be experiencing a little stress from the transition to its new environment.
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!