FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Theplantman479
Hi,
This might sound crazy but I saw some guy on Natinal geographics channel drank unoppened N.sanguinea liquid. Is it sanatary but is it even healthy. In the book Savage Garden Peter D'Amato said Nepenthes don't secrete acid until they feel the bugs motion so it can't hurt your throat.
By Jimbok3
As long as the unopened trap is healthy it should be safe, plus what are immune systems for anyway? :lol:
Jimbok3 liked this
By Idontkno23
I wouldn't recommend it lol but the nectar from the lid of the pitchers is very sweet!
By Mikey3288
Haha this is an interesting thread. I remember on another forum some time ago, someone ate the excrete from a lowii lid. That yogurt looking material, and said it was actually bland with a hint of sweetness!
By Leo756
One of the common names for Nepenthes is "monkey cups" because monkeys often drink from them where they grow wild, hanging from trees in the jungle, so I guess it just depends on how evolved you are. :lol:
By bananaman
I read an intrestin article about Nepenthes pitcher fluid having antifungal properties, in addition to antibacterial ones. However this was only the case in unopened or freshly opened pitchers, as they quickly got diluted with rainwater.
By Kbud
So they don't release acid until they feel a bug struggling? Isn't the acid already in the fluid? Is the bug soup absorbed up the tendril?

Anyway, and old book on CPs from my school library that I read (I believe it is from the 70s-80s) told me that some cultures believe that the unopened fluid from nepenthes make it rain and cure bed-wetting. I do not know if this is still believed, but it would sure be helpful for potty training! :lol: I don't think I would want to drink it, even if it iis sterile... I guess its a personal opinion.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!