FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bloobwormz
i currently have two su dews spat fraser and adelae ...i have a few problems with both i keep them under a dome for humidity ..first of my adelae has no dew on new growth and is not even growing dew tentacles ...i only give them direct morning sun bout 2 hrs ( this is all i plan to give them ) and the sat creates dew but its fake ...when i remove the dome the dew disappears within minutes , ive also attempted feeding it fruit flies but tye leaves that get the food loses dew and does not uncurl .....i need help asap as i am getting a burmannnii ,indica and vft on wednesday

(both have been acclimated , i suspect the adelae needs more light...)
By fattytuna
All of the plants (except adelae) need as much full sun as possible, typically 4 hours +. The humidity dome is unnecessary. Humidity is overrated for most species.

The D. adelae plant needs time to adapt. In the wild, they live in humid and about 70% sun conditions, but they are adaptable to low humidity. They are also quite adaptable to a wide range of light conditions. It can take more than a week for the plant to adapt. Just keep it in a consistent place.

A picture of the plants would help too.
By Bloobwormz
can tpost file to big ..... is the dome over rated even when acclimating to humido? thats what i use it for .....i cant give it more sun...will it ever getleaves with dew?
By fattytuna
The dome may cause more problems than if it weren't there. Once the plant is acclimated to the high humidity, removing the dome will cause stress to the plant. The dome also inhibits air flow and encourages fungal growth. In hot weather, a plant may be over heated. High humidity isn't a crucial element for D. adelae (and unnecessary for the other plants). However, some growers have used domes very successfully. It all depends on the conditions of your environment. The D. adelae should eventually get dew and grow fine

The other plants may not reach their potential with the amount of light they're getting.
By Bloobwormz
i changed there location ..they get 4 hours approx of light (afternoon light ) the rest is indirect ..
By fattytuna
I would leave the D. adelae in the 2 hours direct sun location until it adapts. Provided that the indirect sunlight is pretty bright, it should be perfectly fine. The transition straight to 4 hours might be a bit too much, unless the sun isn't very intense.
By Bloobwormz
its not stright four hrs...the sun keeps getteing covered by clouds and its rainy here until sept. The longest the noon sun is i think 3 hrs but i see it slowy vanish in 30 min then re appear...i removed the dome right...my spatulata has not more dew on it, the previous dew was just humidity so do i just leave it ,making it get dew on its own or do iut the dome back?
By Bloobwormz
thanks...just realozed where they are placed gets a bit morning sun bout 1-2 hrs
By Bloobwormz
i am gonna get a burmanni and indica ater..any idea wether a dome would be good or not? ill start with indirect lgiht of course

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!