FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By LittleMissPeanut
Ok, even though I just have 1 VFT at the moment. I have been thinking to owning a couple more, but I'm having trouble as to thinking what plants is the best for me.
I know I have 3 plants I want, but I have no idea if they're meant for me and are good for newbies.
1.Paradisia
2.Sharkteeth
3.Low giant
4.Korean Melody(Maybe)

If anyone else have any suggestions on what I should get, please feel free :mrgreen:

P.S I am also obsessed with sundews, :? Any proud owner of these plants, please spill suggestions as well :D
By parker679
The thing about VFT's is that there really is no such thing as one that's good for newbies since a $3 typical has the same requirements as a $50 cultivar. If you can grow a typical you can grow any of them. I would just recommend not spending a lot if you're still new since there is a risk of killing it.

What it comes down to is preference, what type of trap are you looking for?

Now with sundews there are certainly newbie friendly plants. Since they come from a wide range of climates there are going to be some that are easier to grow than others. The most common is D. capensis, the Cape Sundew, since it's easy to grow and pretty cheap due to its wide availability. It also doesn't have a dormancy requirement making it a good indoor plant.

My personal favorite though when it comes to sundews is D. filiformis/D. trayci, the Threadleaf Sundews.
parker679, parker679 liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!