FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ericrud
Hi everybody, My VFT has been growing greatly. The new traps are being spit out like crazy and really big, But the one thing I don't see are any flower stalks, I really want a flower stalk to grow so I can cut it off and grow more flytraps from it..

I can attach a photo of the Flytrap when I get home, But I really want to see some stalks :c.
By LAKJP
It's too late then, but you can always expect your plant to produce offshoots or you can simply use the leaf pulling method :)
By Leo756
Ericrud wrote:I really want to see some stalks
I just wanted to point out that letting your VFT bloom can set it back for a while since it's putting its energy reserves into flowers and seeds instead of new growth. About half of mine bloomed this spring, but I cut all the stalks off when they were only a couple inches tall so I could try some propagation by flower stalk cuttings. Even just that much seems to have set them back. Most of my others are sending up new traps now, but the ones where a flower stalk has been cut off are still just sitting there and not sending up any new growth yet. I've also read that letting them bloom will result in smaller traps over the rest of the season than you'd get if you remove the flower stalks.
By LAKJP
Among 4 of my VFT's that flowered, only one seems to have been set back and produce smaller traps while it is also the only one which produced an offshoot. Conditions and genes are two important factors I have observed.
By Leo756
[vimeo][/vimeo]
LAKJP wrote:the only one which produced an offshoot
Lucky you! Most of mine seem to be multiplying like crazy, but all the divisions are just teeny tiny little baby plants that will probably take *years* to really do much of anything. When I transplanted everything this spring, I kept all of the tiny offshoots I found and planted them about an inch apart, several in each pot. But now I'm wondering if I should have just tossed them out instead since I don't really have any more room to separate them and grow them on if they start getting bigger since I don't have room to build a greenhouse anywhere. :(

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!