FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Carl
I've see one picture of a white VFT many years ago and the general feeling was it was a photoshop-edited picture. I hope I'm proven wrong because it would be a great VFT
By grant
Matt wrote:Is this the photo you saw Carl?:
i want one!!!
By Carl
Hi Matt, It's been so many years I can't remember all I can remember was a debate about it being edited.
By Pat
That just looks like a poor VFT that has been deprived of light.
By grant
Someone mentioned this somewhere else. But I think it would be sweet if there was a cultivar that was so dark red that it was pretty much black. That would be sweeeeeet
By Matt
grant wrote:Someone mentioned this somewhere else. But I think it would be sweet if there was a cultivar that was so dark red that it was pretty much black. That would be sweeeeeet
What would be even sweeter is if the above white plant actually did exist and you had the black plant as well, then you could plant them in the same pot and revel at the contrast.
By grant
Matt wrote:What would be even sweeter is if the above white plant actually did exist and you had the black plant as well, then you could plant them in the same pot and revel at the contrast.
ooooooohhhhh. that would be great :D
By DeLoreanlover
I had wondered if it was some mutation that lacked the ability to store chloraphyll or just extremely resistant to light, I don't know.

Hey grant, what kind of red VFT is that as your avatar?

Right now all I have are several basic green variety from wal-mart, several small to medium sized b-52s, and three akai ryus.
By Matt
DeLoreanlover wrote:I had wondered if it was some mutation that lacked the ability to store chloraphyll or just extremely resistant to light, I don't know.
Yeah, my guess is that all white mutation isn't stable or able to be cloned, but I don't know that for sure.
DeLoreanlover wrote:Right now all I have are several basic green variety from wal-mart, several small to medium sized b-52s, and three akai ryus.
Well that's not a bad start! That's far ahead where I was this time last year with my collection.
By grant
Deloreanlover - my avatar is not any of my plants. i got all of my plants towards the fall. but ill put one up of mine next summer or fall when my plants look all nice and pretty
By linton
Matt is right as usual, the "white" mutation does in fact exist, but is is not stable and can easily revert back to normal. I don't think that there could ever be an all white plant because it would lack chlorophyll (the pigment that makes plants green) and be unable to sustain itself.

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!