FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By oneshot
So, I have a frog room in my basement that is kept about 70-75 degrees during the day and it drops a little at night. Plenty of light, and humidity in the room already. I wouldn't want the room to go much hotter than 75, if that matters.

I would love to know what types of CP's I should research about that might do well in those conditions.

I'm a member of a few forums and know that there's a search function, but as of right now, I don't even know what to search for.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
By Leo756
Probably depends on how much and what kind of light there is. Contrary to popular belief, most CP's, especially flytraps, don't really need high humidity and it can even cause mold and rot if there's not enough fresh air circulation, but they *do* need lots of very bright light. In fact, direct sunlight for at least 6 hours a day would be best, although 16 hours of artificial light can suffice as long as it's in the right color temperatures.
By bananaman
It depends on the amount of light.
If there is a TON of light, then Heliamphora would likely do really well, and so would Cephalotus. Highland Nepenthes would also do well, but can tolerate less light than the others.
By oneshot
Thanks for the info so far!

I did some reading about the lighting, and it doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm not against adding more fixtures for my CP's, I have plenty of extra fixtures.

Now what about the temperature. I looked up Heliamphora and seems like everyone was saying it needed a temperature drop. I'm a little worried that it won't drop enough at night. I'll take better temperature readings starting now.

Also, when you say "highland", which sub-forum is that? Pitcher plants or Tropical Pitcher Plants? i.e.; what's the difference between Highland and Lowland?
By bananaman
Those would be in the Tropical Pitcher Plants subforum, as they are both commonly called Tropical Pitcher Plants.

Highland tropical plants grow in montane areas, while lowland tropical plants grow in places other than the mountains. Highland plants tend to expect cooler temeratures than lowland plants. This is true for all tropical plants, from Nepenthes to Theobroma.

Hope I helped!
Not what you would expect...

ant hill?

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!