FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mnwatson1
I am SO excited, and so many have already germinated! I also have a windowbox FULL of seeds that I'm just waiting to germinate, but those are the ones I stratified. All of my current seedlings are ones that I sewed as soon as I got the seeds from FTS. My house is going to be overrun with Cobra Lilies, and I can't wait! :lol:

I'm also including pictures of my year-old Sarracenia, it's "tanning" nicely since I put it outside. Some of the pitchers are turning brown on top, but since it was doing that before I put it out, I'm assuming it's because it's producing new pitchers rather than sunburn, like I read someone talking about here.
You can see two of my Darlingtonia seedlings emerging.  The bigger one is the biggest one I have so far!
You can see two of my Darlingtonia seedlings emerging. The bigger one is the biggest one I have so far!
IMG_20130605_110302_361.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
One of my "tanning" year-old Sarrs.
One of my "tanning" year-old Sarrs.
IMG_20130605_124036_855.jpg (282.26 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
New pitchers growing, and tanning!  I'm soooo excited! XD
New pitchers growing, and tanning! I'm soooo excited! XD
IMG_20130605_124025_018.jpg (351.56 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
My other one.  You can see the new pitcher, and what the old ones are doing on the hoods.
My other one. You can see the new pitcher, and what the old ones are doing on the hoods.
IMG_20130605_124013_735.jpg (326.48 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
mnwatson1 liked this
By cadorn
Congratulations! I am green with envy, but grateful for the pictures. They show 1) it is possible, and 2) what everything is supposed to look like. WELL DONE!
cadorn liked this
By alikaren
Are most of your darlingtonia just sprouting, or do most of yours have the non-carnivorous leaves. So far, only three of mine have the leaves. ;0

Also, great seedlings!
By mnwatson1
alikaren wrote:Are most of your darlingtonia just sprouting, or do most of yours have the non-carnivorous leaves. So far, only three of mine have the leaves. ;0

Also, great seedlings!
Thanks! I am sooo happy to see so many sprouting!

As for the Darlingtonia, so far several have the seed leaves, no carnivorous ones yet, though most are just emerging from the seed. I have SEVERAL pots that have been seeded, and I decided to take one of the smaller ones and put it out with my other CPs today, as one of my seedlings hitchhiked into one of my VFT pots and has been growing out there from the start. Right now, our temps are between 85-55 as a total range, though it's staying mostly in the mid-upper 70's during the day, and falling into mid 60's at night. Humidity has been super high here for this time of year too, because of all the rain, and the ones inside seem to be doing better without a humidity dome than they did with it. :shock: I do keep them all bottom-watered, and I mist them with distilled water 2-3 times/day, pretty much whenever I stop to just look at 'em. I have one pot that seems to have a seedling explosion: there are seedlings in groups that seem to have sprouted all at once!

I also have a window planter (it's indoors, with a self-watering tray built in) that's seeded, and I put most of the stratified seeds in it. I seeded it about a week ago, and already have several germinating! I'm really surprised, but the ones in the other pot that is sprouting all over the place is from the same group of (stratified) seeds. The non-stratified ones took about 4-5 weeks to start germinating, so I had really expected a similar wait for the stratified ones.
One 'group' of seedlings!
One 'group' of seedlings!
IMG_20130607_131941_092.jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Another group of seedlings!
Another group of seedlings!
IMG_20130607_132009_958.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
I have been amazed at how well my phone captures these little guys! It does a better job than my regular digital camera! :shock:

If you'd like, I'd be happy to post pics as they get bigger. It's definitely fun to see how much they change as they get bigger! :D
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!