FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Spuffy
I grow my Sarracenia outdoors and they seem to be doing fine. My only concern at the minute is that it's quite windy and I'm worried about my taller pitchers getting bent over. I've made some make-shift supports out of plastic spoons and twine which is helping.
If anyone provides support for their pitchers I'd be very interested to know what your technique is.
By parker679
When it's windy and rainy my tall leucos can fill with water and tip over. I usually don't take preventive measures and only address the pitchers that have already fallen.

I will either just use a 2-3 foot bamboo stake and gently insert it next to the plant and tie the pitcher to that. Or I use this metal thing meant for supporting plants, it's like an 18 inch straight piece of wire with an open circle on one end.

Looks like this, except I can fit 2-3 pitcher in each one.

parker679 liked this
By Starchy
parker679 wrote:When it's windy and rainy my tall leucos can fill with water and tip over. I usually don't take preventive measures and only address the pitchers that have already fallen.

I will either just use a 2-3 foot bamboo stake and gently insert it next to the plant and tie the pitcher to that. Or I use this metal thing meant for supporting plants, it's like an 18 inch straight piece of wire with an open circle on one end.

I actually was looking at some of your Sarrs and noticed these things a few months ago. I proceeded to shop at 4 different farmers markets until I finally found them. My Leucos aren't quite big enough for 18" supports, but I will cut a few of the bottoms for now. Thanks for the idea!
By parker679
Starchy wrote:
parker679 wrote:When it's windy and rainy my tall leucos can fill with water and tip over. I usually don't take preventive measures and only address the pitchers that have already fallen.

I actually was looking at some of your Sarrs and noticed these things a few months ago. I proceeded to shop at 4 different farmers markets until I finally found them. My Leucos aren't quite big enough for 18" supports, but I will cut a few of the bottoms for now. Thanks for the idea!

I found mine at Lowes.

Keep in mind you'll want to push in several inches into the soil so plan accordingly.
By Starchy
parker679 wrote:
Starchy wrote:

I found mine at Lowes.

Keep in mind you'll want to push in several inches into the soil so plan accordingly.
Yeah, pushed all the way to the bottom, the ring is just under the opening of my tallest 2-3 pitchers. I purchased various sizes, so I will only cut a few down, and probably only 2 inches or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
By Spuffy
That's perfect, exactly what I need. Looks a lot sturdier than my spoons and twine. :)
I know I can definitely get some bamboo stakes if I can't get my hands on the metal supports.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!