FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By cvlover
This is my experiment for fun. I'm feeding VFT and Sar 100 miligram/liter fertilizer 20-10-20 for over 1 month and so far all of them still alive (not dead yet, smile, ;) ) . Look like young plants love it and I didn't see fungus yet (I use 50% coir & 50% sand). Welcome your comment and please share your experiment.
fertilizer-1.jpg
fertilizer-1.jpg (734.73 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
I forget to water this Sar and it almost dead. I use it for this experiment and it survives.
I forget to water this Sar and it almost dead. I use it for this experiment and it survives.
fertilizer-2.jpg (654.2 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
There are some dead leaves before I fertilizer it.  I think it's dormant.
There are some dead leaves before I fertilizer it. I think it's dormant.
fertilizer-3.jpg (761.54 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Plant keeps growing and give small plants.
Plant keeps growing and give small plants.
fertilizer-4.jpg (765.04 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
More green leaves and bigger.
More green leaves and bigger.
fertilizer-5.jpg (539.24 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
By Matt
I love experiments! Thanks for sharing this one cvlover! Most of the plants appear to be growing quite well.

But the plant in this photo is definitely suffering from root burn due to the fertilizer:

See how the newly forming traps are turning black and dying before the leaf completely develops? That happens occasionally for mysterious reasons, but when it is happening to all of the new traps, that's a sign that something is wrong with the water or soil (or that the plant is being fertilized).
Matt, Matt liked this
By Leilani Kimiko
Matt, thanks for pointing out that the newly developing traps could be dieing from the fertilizer. I've seen that happen on occasion in my experiments but I wasn't sure of the cause. I don't use the usual NPK type of fertilizer made from salts. I used a solution of totally organic nutrients. I've since learned that VFT roots are so sensitive that even organic nutrients can hurt the plant if the concentration is too high. In fact, substituting organics for salts in the fertilizer was the first experiment I did. The experiment wasn't a complete failure. The plants can benefit from either type of fertilizer as long as it's dilute enough. In addition, a well fed plant will have less need for additional nutrients and may be even more sensitive to them.
Leilani Kimiko liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!