FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By plantfreak1
I'm finally moving out of my parents house! Its all very fun and exciting but i have a problem. My plants have to come with. Does anybody have any tips on how to safely transport potted nepenthes and heliamphora (among other plants) safely? My new place is about 1hr and 15 mins away. I need to find out how to keep them cool, and protect them from getting tossed around on the freeway.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
By plantfreak1
chevy s-10 truck. Ive got about 2 feet of space behind the seats and then the bed of the truck.
By Starchy
place them in open boxes with a lot of bubble wrap around them. Just make sure they are secure in the bed of the truck either by packing other belongings tightly, or by using 2x4s/bungee cables. I would water them the night before you leave, and ideally cover the bed with a bed cover or tarp to protect from the wind.
Starchy liked this
By parker679
I'd go with behind the seats so that wind/Sun isn't a factor. For a short trip like that you don't have to worry about sitting them in water or anything. I would just get some boxes from the grocery store, or Costco if you have a membership, to place the pots in. If you pack them close together it should keep them from tipping over.

I imagine you're making the trip without stopping so unless you're driving with no AC and the windows up they should stay cool enough.
parker679 liked this
By plantfreak1
Ya i can probably get them all inside the cab. Thanks for the help everyone!
By plantfreak1
Well, i got 2 kinds of bubble wrap, large bubble and small bubble and some packing tape. Ive got plenty of cardboard boxes for my other belongings and 2 plastic storage boxes i will be using for the plants. And i dont have air conditioning. So the plants will have to go in the bed.
Wish me luck, im moving them tomorrow :)
By plantfreak1
They all survived! The bubble wrap held them in quite nicely.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!