FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Vern
coline wrote:No, take it out. Lean the tray to a side to slowly drain it
I thought it was a good thing to flood it on occasion.
By coline
On ocasion, but not to let it dry by its own. I do it only once a week and, and not completely, then it slowly drains in a hole I have at medium height of the tray.
By Vern
I see, I guess that makes sense, standing water would create stagnant water and anaerobic growth-and algae.
By Vern
So Coline, when would you flood it versus misting it? Which method do you think would be more effective for a small container like Tupperware?
By coline
It is neither of both, the thing is to fill the container up to 2-3cm below the tips of the moss, and then wait a whole week at least before watering again. or when the tips look dry more water is needed.
By Vern
coline wrote:It is neither of both, the thing is to fill the container up to 2-3cm below the tips of the moss, and then wait a whole week at least before watering again. or when the tips look dry more water is needed.
So fill 2-3cm below the tips, drain out to around that level if its more, and water again after a week or if the tips need water. Correct?
By coline
Not from every sunday, but I realized I did take several photos of my sphagnum.

First one from february

This one from march

And this one today

As you may see, I took chunks from the big and nice one to populate and help the other trays. Also, I took out a big amount from the big one today to make pots of sphagnum, so photos would show a lag on growth if I take new ones.
Also for time comparison, you may see the growth of the D. capensis that live in the moss, they grow much faster.
By coline
LAKJP wrote:How tall are those trays? Their height is okay for mature Capensis?
I've never worried for pot height of small drosera, they are only 2 inches tall I think, as all the rest of my small pots, only sarracenia, dionaea or taller drosera get bigger pots.

Looking as the sphagnum is growing right now! Ericrud
By Vern
Looking good Ericrud.
I was just checking on my little thumb side bit of sphagnum, and I was surprised to see tiny bits of green growing on the tips of the dried sphagnum I had placed in the container. I might be getting some more sphagnum as well!

I watched a video recently on youtube, apparently this kid managed to grow several large amount of sphag in about 3-4 months. Said something along the lines of lots of sun, 70% humidity and light ferts.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!