FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
I know that you can trace many unrelated plants and animals back in their evolution to a common ancestor, but this still surprised me.

"The small size of the U. gibba genome is even more surprising given the fact that the species has undergone three complete genome doublings since its evolutionary lineage split from that of tomato."

A tomato.....huh!
By coline
Yeah, saw that article, in my case I liked the fact on how it describes that non coding DNA is not as important to multicelular life than many thought.
The trees like that ones that appear there are really fun to do and pretty informative on genetic relationships, they can be done online and by simply searching and pasting DNA sequences in different webpages. In a sequence like this: search the DNA sequence wanted (NCBI, EBI..), paste it in the Fasta format in a simility analizer program like the one EBI has, use the information generated to build a cladiogram.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!