FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Nick_
What would be best to keep my plants alive when I go on vacation next month?
By Starchy
Well, you would need a large reservoir to hold the amount of water your plants require for a week. Something like this 7 gallon tank:

You would also need a garden hose splitter with timer. The best I can find with a quick search is one with 3 outlets:

Then you will need all the supplies mentioned in the video below. Follow the steps in the video to build a spigot in the water reservoir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUUFRE9aQQE

Finally, you will need a water pressure gauge to figure out how much water pressure is required to allow water flow from your reservoir into your hoses and into your plants:

The way you create pressure is by having the water reservoir significantly higher than the highest point of your plants (I would recommend a few feet higher at least). You will need to repeat this whole process to accommodate all your plants. If your plants can be watered via the tray method, you can get a very large tray and put multiple plants in it so 1 hose can run to the tray. You can control the times the hoses water (I would advice running each of the 3 outlets at different times so you can have good water pressure).

If you want to top water a plant, you will need one more piece. You can add a water halo to the top of your pot so the water will seep out per timer outlet (only 1 plant would probably work per outlet with this method, and would require more setups).

Hope this helps!
Starchy liked this
By coline
The multiple way timer is not necesary, it is optional, because there are hose splitters for more than 2 ways for a few dollars. Telling you, if you could not find one, do not worry. Here we don't even have 1 way water timers (I do, but they are not sold here).
By beckhamlim24
1 week? I would say use tray method and them cover up the whole set up to prevent water vapour from escaping.
By coline
But as beckhamlim says, 1 week is not a problem, under shade the plants 1 week and you come back and they are all right, I even pour less than 1cm of water on trays in that system and they are still really wet when I come back.
By beckhamlim24
A container? Or something that can cover up the whole set up, from the top to the bottom.
By bananaman
It depends on where you live.
Here, where it can be quite humid, I simply fill the plant's trays with 2 cm of water or so, and it is gone in between 2 days and a week.
If it is cloudy, it can last for more than 2 weeks.
I make my soil mix with extra peat to compensate for irregular watering.
If I'm gone for more than a week, I get somebody to put water in the trays for me.
By Nick_
Okay well I think I am going to use a method in which I used previously which showed great success as well as tremendous growth bursts, I wrapped all of plant under a large transparent bag under 2 32 w bulbs I just need to find a big enough transparent bag, anyone know where I can get a good one, and would it matter if the bag had no airholes?
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!