FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cbennett4041
I purchased a Darlingtonia from Mike Wang and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Mike gave me a lot of solid advice, but I was also wondering the groups opinion regarding the best of my available conditions for this plant. Thus the options:

1) Southern exposure porch with or without partial shade from pergola. No additional shading from trees, etc.

2) Northern exposure covered porch. Complete shade, but relatively bright.

I know the partial shade on the south side of the house sounds preferable, but my average temperatures during the summer are HOT! We have usually two or three multiple-day streaks above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Fortunately our humidity is also super high since the entire Southeast Missouri area used to be a swamp.

I guess I could do a little of both depending on the climatic conditions. What say you, group?!
By Starchy
I'd go with 1) partial shade. Just watch the plant on the days when it is going to get really hot, and move it to a cooler location for those days (if needed). As long as the soil temps aren't going above 80F, they should be okay. Make sure you plant them in a reasonable pot to help keep the roots cool. And water often. Keep in mind, that coastal variety are much pickier about temperature and sun exposure. Make sure you know if you are getting coastal or mountain variety.

Here is a good video demonstrating some of the different conditions Darlingtonia see in their natural environment:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebZMWy2SLU[/youtube]
By Dionae
I have mine growing in full sun. Not sure of the variety. I just planted it in a huge pot sitting in a tray of water as instructed by the person I got it from and its doing great. I've killed every cobra I owned before this one but i'm confident this one will survive.
By cbennett4041
Hmmm... my plan then is to grow mine in a small styrofoam cooler I have sitting around using a mix of 1:1 peat:perlite topped with straight perlite to help insulate, etc. I'll probably start out with the plant located in the partial shade on my south deck. Maybe on warmer days when I'll be able to monitor the plant I'll try him in the full sun.

We usually have a ton of humidity to go with the bright direct light, so I'm hoping it will be fine with the cooler and perlite.

Thanks guys!

Corey
By coline
Interesting that about the 80F, I may try to have them at my high house with during the day the air gets to only 27C and at nights 18-20, even with this really hot summer!
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!