FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By fragrant-orchid
Silly question I guess but do venus fly traps need to trap flies for nutrients? Should I feed my plant flies? We have a wormery which attracts a lot of small fruit flies which are easy to catch and I have popped one or two into my newly acquired 'pet' plant and it obligingly closed around the unfortunate and still very much alive fruit fly. My ten year old twin grandsons are going to love this.

I am new on this site and will introduce myself as soon as possible. Thanks for reading this. fragrant-orchid in the United Kingdom.
By LAKJP
Well, insects do give VFT's nutrients but they are not necessary to keep the plant alive. They will, however, give the plant a boost so it will grow quicker and put up bigger traps if fed regularly. You must be cautious about overfeeding. A Venus Flytrap should be only fed one or two traps and it is per plant.
LAKJP liked this
By Log
I say leave them alone, feeding the wrong animal or to big an animal will most likely kill the trap, the plant will do fine without, as long as it's getting plenty sun.
By Chas
They color better when not fed. I've found they get just as big unfed. When you feed them they do this speed up thing and stop but through the growing season, most of the plants are going to have that either way.

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!