FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
Hi everyone,
I recently acquired this sundew, which I believe is drosera adelae. It was looking ok the first day I got it, but since it has declined a bit. The dew was lost (which I guess is normal stress from moving it from its original location into my house.) But along with that some of the new leaf tips have turned brown, and the old leaves have become limp. It hasn't gotten any worse for about a week or two, so I'm hoping it can recover from this point.

It is planted in premier peat moss and perlite (50/50 mix), & watered with distilled water. Its in a big east facing window all day, not sure if this is enough light, but it's the sunniest location in my house.

I just wanted to know if it looks like it can recover, and if this is just transplantation stress or something else.
Attachments:
CPUpdateApril 027.JPG
CPUpdateApril 027.JPG (233.26 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
CPUpdateApril 015.JPG
CPUpdateApril 015.JPG (88.54 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
CPUpdateApril 012.JPG
CPUpdateApril 012.JPG (92.41 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
By jwbates26
Yes your dew should recover. It does look like its stressed out from shipping or transplanting but I wouldn't worry. Give it good lighting and plenty of water and it should make a nice recovery. Adelaes are the easier of the three queen sundews and they multiply from roots very easily. It actually looks like you may have more then one plant in the pot.

You may benefit from placing a clear plastic cup over the top of it to increase the humidity. This may aid in the recovery. Once you see new growth then you can start to reduce and acclimate it to lower humidity. I would drill a few holes in the top of the cup to allow for the hot air to escape and be careful of over heating. You don't want to cook your plant but with the holes to allowing venting it should be fine.
By fattytuna
Drosera adelae is one species that does not require direct sunlight. A bright window will suffice.

Growsundews.com provides excellent information on the species, as well as a recovery guide at the bottom.

If you say the plant hasn't declined in a week then, in my opinion, it will probably recover. I have found that this plant is quite adaptable, although it does follow different growth habits for different growers.

The newest buds look to be okay and still growing, which is a good sign.
By tommyr
Give it more time to recover. They don't need ANY Sun really at all. BRIGHT indirect light is fine. It should recover just fine!
By tommyr
All my Adelae sit in a tray of rainwater. All year. Babies even grow out the bottom of the pots into the water and grow out of the water tray. Give it a few more weeks and bright indirect Sun.

This is a 3x5" lunch meat container of Adelae, 3 years old. Under a T5 light.

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!