FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Ericrud
While I was typing up some good stuff last post I tried to make, I lost a lot of the good stuff I wrote last attempts thread so I will condense it.
Growing live sphagnum from FTS, will post photo of progress every Sunday.

By Ericrud
Of course, they are growing inside of a Chinese takeout thingy. They sit at an east windowsill up until the sun comes out and it's warm, then they are taken outside and a lid with holes is poked,

They are watered daily little by little, just enough to keep the entire thing moist. They will be waterlogged every Monday, drained on Wednesday. Watered again with distilled or rain water.
By Ericrud
Melle wrote:Thanks.
Only sphagnum? Or also a ground sand or something?
It's straight up live Sphagnum moss on top of the dead/dying moss. No substrate underneath.
By Kevonicus
I'm doing the same thing under some CFL lights along with some king sundew seeds I've recently sown. I just took a few small sphagnum clippings from my local bog and scattered them on some store bought LFS. Tagging along!
By Sander
And im trying this to, but since i dont have a lot of room, its in 2 plastic yoghurt beakers with a thin layer of peat underneath.

I also placed my cut drosera indica in the moss (which i had to cut the stem from since it was rotting) and guess what, it got new roots, small ones, but it are roots^^
By Ericrud
I'm having a problem: it's Friday now and my sphagnum is turning white! I don't know what to do differently, is it because I've been giving it too much sun??

By Matt
It looks very healthy to me. The green bits will start to grow. The blond parts are probably dead so they won't grow, but they won't decay. Just keep it in bright light and don't let it dry out. It should grow well for you.
By Ericrud
HELLO, my FTC buddies. I am here with a photograph of my LFS. And I am unsure if I am doing the right or wrong thing as in terms of growing, it seems to go whiter every day, this seems as an indication that it may be dying. But I am inexperienced with the grown of sphagnum, so I am unsure.

But alas. Here's the picture
By plantfreak1
Eh, maybe its thirsty. I drench mine everyday and its green as grass :mrgreen:

My questions would be what and why? What are you g[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!