FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By akinkysnorlax
Hey everyone. After watching the news I thought I would post this here. Cicada populations have exploded in the U.S. and scientists are expecting the largest amount of these insects in decades to appear this growing season. For those of you are unfamiliar with what Cicadas are, they are large flying insects that shed their exoskeletons mainly on trees and make incredibly noisy and annoying mating calls. Supposedly their calls reach 90-100 decibels if you are within close range, which is about as loud as a rock concert.

News article:
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... -buzz?lite

Cicada:

Now Cicadas are quite large and probably cannot be caught by a majority of carnivorous plants except for large Sarracenia and Nepenthes. They are usually just over an inch long and they are quite heavy for being insects. I do not think Venus Flytraps and Sundews can catch these bug on there own.

Thanks for reading :D
By Darkrai283
It was probably like this exactly 13 years ago. There is a common species of cicada in America which explodes in population every 3 years and there is another species which come up every 13 years. It must be the latter species maturing this year then.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By parker679
Darkrai283 wrote:It was probably like this exactly 13 years ago. There is a common species of cicada in America which explodes in population every 3 years and there is another species which come up every 13 years. It must be the latter species maturing this year then.
Actually, I think it's the 17 year species coming out.
By tish
Ohh I took a photo of some 1-2 years back here in Singapore. They are interesting creature.

I know the young stage they live underground for many years before climbing up to tree barks to become their final stage - winged ones. This could be why they are all coming out now.

The ones here in Singapore i heard they only stay underground for a few years.

From Singapore

An exoskeleton after they molt
By parker679
Yeah, most here in the states are the 3-4 year variety. But since they overlap you get an emergence every year.

There are only a hand-full of broods(thank wikipedia for the proper term) that are the 13/17 year variety.

True story: if you want to see a group of women freak out, accidentally let one of these into your house. It was night time and a friend opened the door to let her dog out and instantly there was this LOUD high pitched scream just outside the door. I've heard cicadas all my life and maybe it was from being to close but it sounded like what I imagine a demon would sound like as it came for your soul. ;)
So it immediately flies inside.....fun times.
parker679 liked this
By tish
Haha. That's an interesting scene . it's really hard to find 1 here so I can replicate what you've related. But I really would love to try it out... And also hear how a demon sound like muahahahaha

Fingered from my Galaxy Nexus
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!