FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
Hi guys,

I'm back! It's been a crazy busy couple of years. I should have more time now though. Lots of new people here. Nice to see Matt and Steve still keeping this the number one site for vft care :)

Back to the question. I'm considering bringing my plants inside a month earlier. Things to consider: the was something contaminating the mix I was using and a lot of the plants deteriorated in size. Since they are smaller, dormancy issues shouldn't matter to much, correct? I will also repot them in a couple of weeks to ensure they have a good mix for this year.

Adam
By Matt
Adam! Great to see you back finally! It seems like it's been forever...
Adam wrote:I'm considering bringing my plants inside a month earlier. Things to consider: the was something contaminating the mix I was using and a lot of the plants deteriorated in size. Since they are smaller, dormancy issues shouldn't matter to much, correct?
I think dormancy affects all plants about the same regardless of size. But if the plants have been dormant since October or November, it's probably fine to wake them from their slumber now.
By Adam
I figured. Thanks, Matt. Great to be back! Lots to update. Got a great new camera. Finally found something not as big as a dslr but has interchangeable lenses. It's the Sony nex 7. Will be posting lots of pictures once I hunt down a macro lens to my liking. The camera can take a lens from any manufacturer, so I have plenty to choose from :) I'm very happy with it and it has rekindled my photography hobby. It goes hand in hand with the CP hobby!
By Adam
Goodkoalie wrote:Could the same be for sarracenia? can tehy be brought in now that they have been in since november?
I'm bringing in those as well.
By Daniel_G
Sarracenia will take a pretty long dormancy fine, especially Purpureas and Flavas, but it won't do any harm to bring them in a bit early in the yearm so long as they've had a few months of dormancy.

Anyway, nice to see you back Adam :) Can't wait to see pictures of the plants in Spring/Summer!
By Matt
Adam wrote:Finally found something not as big as a dslr but has interchangeable lenses. It's the Sony nex 7. Will be posting lots of pictures once I hunt down a macro lens to my liking. The camera can take a lens from any manufacturer, so I have plenty to choose from
Awesome! Sounds like a cool camera. I'll have to check it out.
Adam wrote:I'm very happy with it and it has rekindled my photography hobby. It goes hand in hand with the CP hobby!
The two hobbies definitely go hand in hand. Macro shots of Venus fly traps are the best photos out there, I think :)
By Adam
Quick update. Everything is doing well after the shorter dormancy! Pictures to come soon.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!