FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
I finally got the seeds that Steve sent. So I started 2 experiments. The first is sterilization of the media by boiling then sealing the pot in a jar. The second is boiled media but the pot will be under a shade cloth outside once seeds germinate (It's under growlights in a ziplock bag for now).

The containers are:
(left front) 10 mix seeds in boiled peat in ziplock.
(left back) 10 mix seeds in boiled peat in sealed jar. This is to see how long the seedlings can grow in there. The hope is to not have algae, mold, etc.
(center) red mix seeds germinating in distilled water
(right back) an upsidedown jar with sterilized peat and sterilized LFS and leaf pullings (Red Dragon, Green Dragon, Big Mouth, B52, Red Rosetted, Scarlet Bristle, Saw Tooth, Bristle Tooth and Typical)
(right front) a plastic herb container with LFS only and distilled water. Same leaf pullings as above.

The leaf pullings in the right back jar were cleaned with a toothbrush and rinsed in distilled water. This is just to minimize the number of spores that get in the jar. The other pullings were just rinsed in distilled water.
Attachments:
IMG_4442.JPG
IMG_4442.JPG (74.77 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
By Siannuro
Hey!!! That pulling technique looks very familiar! :lol: Woot! Can't wait to see how many babies you get out of all that experimentation :!:
By Adam
Ya! I was very pleased to see the success with the upside down peanut butter jar. Hoping to have a bunch growing in there soon.

Did you leave that jar in the sun?
By Siannuro
Adam wrote:Ya! I was very pleased to see the success with the upside down peanut butter jar. Hoping to have a bunch growing in there soon.

Did you leave that jar in the sun?
I put mine in a north facing windowsill. Bright indirect light.
By Adam
I'm going to try artificial lighting 24/7. See if I get strikes sooner.
By hackerberry
Sounds very exciting Adam. Can't wait for the updates.

hb
By Adam
The only issue with that jar is that I tried to sterilize it by steaming it. So it warped quite a bit. The big problem is that in no longer makes an airtight/watertight seal. After a couple of days I noticed I had to add water to it. I did it by dipping the jar in distilled water, squeezing it until some air bubbled up. It then "drank" some more water. Hopefully by using distilled water to refill it and rinsing the base first, I'll keep the algae, etc out of the jar..
By Siannuro
Adam wrote:The only issue with that jar is that I tried to sterilize it by steaming it. So it warped quite a bit. The big problem is that in no longer makes an airtight/watertight seal. After a couple of days I noticed I had to add water to it. I did it by dipping the jar in distilled water, squeezing it until some air bubbled up. It then "drank" some more water. Hopefully by using distilled water to refill it and rinsing the base first, I'll keep the algae, etc out of the jar..
Is that the one with the red lid?
By Adam
It's really hard to see through the fogged up ziplock bags. I think I see some of the water germination experiment seeds starting to sprout. I'll double check tomorrow.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!