FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
I have bought utricularia cornuta from czplants. I have planted them in desalinated coir. It is ok ? The below site said that this is unproved.
Code: Select all
http://www.thecps.org.uk/cms/fileman/upload/Growing-Guides/Utricularia.pdf
Can i water from time to time with water from a tray, which under the microscope, has protozoa and such ?
Last edited by roarke on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By coline
I have 2 plants of them (CZ) and both planted on standard CP mix, the first one has 2 weeks now and is doing good. Here in the tropics I have not had good experiences with coir (plants died, fungi, other bad creatures and putrefaction), so I don't reccomend it to you.
Last edited by coline on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By roarke

Why it had die on you, coline ? I don't have problems indoors, 23 Celsius at day and 18 Celsius at night, in a pot of 9 inch in height with coir + quartz sand and 2 inch and half from the lights. The plant or maybe are more have the diameter of 1 inch. More than 1 week has passed. How close to my artificial lights should i put the plant and in how much time it will grow ? Image added. I ask anyone who grows utricularia, any type, to help me, please (temperature, light, media, pot height etc.), so i could grow cornuta like those type you grow. My plant is a terrestrial one.
By coline
The ones that have died here when using the coir where D. capensis, D. spatulata and Dionaea, which were the ones I had at that time, I used it with perlite 50:50, as I now always do with peat and perlite. temperatures are from outside, an average of 25ºC all year going down to 14 and up to 30 on min-max basis.
The distance to the lights depends on the intensity they have, so right now how much light do you provide them?
Utricularia is not a dewy plant, as you asked, and cornuta has green leaves.
By coline
That sounds ok for a distance of 20cm aproximately, you see, if the plant makes longer or thiner leaves you should move it closer, if it stays small and tight it is at the right distance.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!