FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By xr280xr
I found these black pots at Lowes and Home Depot this season. I didn't buy any at first because they're black and I was hoping to find some of the big white ones that I already have on the right. But since this was the best they had, I bought a few and now I'm really liking them. They're a nice diameter so that they can fit into smaller spaces while holding a few smaller plants, but they're also deep! As opposed to that little gray one you can see in the pic that were my previous option for pots of that diameter (about 2-3" shorter). They're decent quality plastic, not super thin like those temporary pots new plants come in. They've also got nice, big drainage holes on the sides at the bottom. I'll have to paint them if I want to put them outside but I'm probably going to stock up on a bunch more of them cause they're only $0.98 each! :geek: :geek: :roll:
IMG_3915[2].jpg
IMG_3915[2].jpg (146.35 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
By Matt
That does look like a very nice pot for Dionaea. I think painting it white is a good idea, or you could just put the pot inside something or in a location where the sun would never directly hit the sides. But the depth and size of the pot looks great! And you can't beat the price.
By xr280xr
Matt wrote: I think painting it white is a good idea, or you could just put the pot inside something or in a location where the sun would never directly hit the sides.
That would be a good idea because it doesn't offer much as far as insulation, even in a lighter color. I've also been playing with the idea of making a mold .25-.5" larger than the pot out of roofing flashing or something like that and then using that spray on foam insulation to fill the gap & give some pots a foam shell. Like a fly trap Koozie :p
By coline
Great pots, we have somethin similar here, in a store that is very similar in style to the clasic 99cent store. they're 1,9$ here and come in brown and green, I have many of them, but they take too much space and the plants get the very same size as in a smaller pot, weird.
They're made of cheap recycled plastic as I have noticed.
coline liked this

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!