FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Nick_
Does anyone else's sphagnum grow up like this because from what I know mosses don't have xylem and phloem as they are nonvascular plants... I'm a bit confused as to how they've grown upward.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (213.51 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
By jwbates26
If you're asking about the leafy plant that's not sphagnum. Looks like hitch hiker. A seed must have blown in there and germinated.
By Nick_
Hmm whatever it is, it looks awesome, think it'll be alright to leave it?
I could've sworn it was growing out of the sphagnum.
By jwbates26
I dont see any harm in leaving it. It is growing out of the sphagnum just as you sarracenias are. It could eventually crowd the other plants or shade them to a point you'd want to remove it.

I agree with you on how it looks but it could end up taking up a lot of space.
By steve booth
It looks to me like it could be some form of Birch tree, very common find in peat mixes as the seed is vey light (about 6-8 million per kg), often found frequenting areas of poor and thin soils and they blow for miles.

If it is, it will take over in a very short period of time, the roots may already be hitting the bottom of the pot and coming out. If you like your sarracenia I would get rid of it :)

Cheers
Steve
By Nick_
Matt wrote:Definitely some sort of tree, likely a birch. I would uproot it immediately as well if it were my growing set up. If you really like it, why not uproot it and repot it into a new container of its own?
Sure, ill take it out and give it to my mother, how should I remove it safely without harming the flava or the birch? And will the birch tolerate miraclegro soil?
By Matt
Nick_ wrote:how should I remove it safely without harming the flava or the birch?
Might be able to just pull it out. They pop up all over the place in our pots and usually the roots come up with the plant when pulled. And when it's that small, it probably wouldn't hurt it.
Nick_ wrote:And will the birch tolerate miraclegro soil?
Yes.
Matt liked this

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!