FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
These photos are an update to this thread:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/some- ... 15487.html

In the fall of 2011, I received some flytrap seeds from a friend in Germany. There were quite a few interesting crosses in the bunch and Coquillage x Trichterfalle was one of them. I sterilized and sowed them in vitro. There were quite a few seeds from the cross that successfully germinated. Of them, there were 4 that had traits similar to the mother plant (Coquillage). In my experience with germinating thousands of seeds, the seedlings usually have more genetic similarities to the mother plant than to the father plant. This is the case here as well. They're not genetically identical to Coquillage and, while they look similar, there are some distinguishing characteristics between the Coquillage x Trichterfalle seedlings and Coquillage. Namely, the seedlings seem more able to get good coloration in the traps than does Coquillage.

Here are some photos I snapped a while back just before transplanting these babies:

Yes, I did it! It has been far too long since I uploaded photos to the site :)

More to come soon!
Matt, Matt, Matt and 3 others liked this
By Veronis
That's a good looking flytrap. :) The red not-cilia nubs look like undeveloped horns.

I wonder how often, if ever, traps may form similarly to Trichterfalle.
Veronis liked this
By Matt
Veronis wrote:That's a good looking flytrap.
Thanks! I agree :)
Veronis wrote:The red not-cilia nubs look like undeveloped horns.
Hah, yes they do! And that is my favorite part of the plant.
Veronis wrote:I wonder how often, if ever, traps may form similarly to Trichterfalle.
Judging by what I've seen in terms of growth habit, size, coloration, etc., I kind of doubt that the plants will have much in the way of characteristics from the father plant Trichterfalle. They all seem quite similar to Coquillage except that a couple of them color up better.
By akinkysnorlax
Hey Matt, I mentioned a couple days ago that I was wanting to make a Long Red Fingers and A2 cross. If I were to want the A2's size and coloration, but LRF trap shape and crossed teeth, would I take pollen from the A2 and pollenate the LRF? Or should it be the other way around (Pollen from LRF to A2)? Or is there really no way of telling which traits will be inherited without germinating the seed?
By Matt
akinkysnorlax wrote:If I were to want the A2's size and coloration, but LRF trap shape and crossed teeth, would I take pollen from the A2 and pollenate the LRF? Or should it be the other way around (Pollen from LRF to A2)? Or is there really no way of telling which traits will be inherited without germinating the seed?
When writing crosses, the mother plant is always listed first and the father (pollen) plant is always listed second. For what you're looking to get, you'd probably have the best chance of success by doing this cross:
Long Red Fingers x A2

So you'd want to pollinate Long Red Fingers flowers with pollen from A2.
Matt, Matt liked this
Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!