FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By pretty
weekly update 01/10/2012

D. Brevifolia and D. Capensis and the Phoenix. An old long thought dead red or wide d. cape sprout. Growth has slowed WAY down on the d. cape sprout, not sure why?

A small few of the transplanted mystery mix seedlings. There are 24 pots with between 3-7 seedlings each (tried to keep similar looking sprouts together)

D. brevifolia surprise seedlings

Pygmy seedlings
pretty, pretty liked this
By pretty
weekly update 01/17/2012

D. Brevifolia and D. Capensis

Pygmy Drosera

A small few of the transplanted mystery mix seedlings. There are 24 pots with between 3-7 seedlings each

D. brevifolia and D. capensis surprise seedlings

D. Affnis

D. lantau island

Sar. Purpurea

VFT
pretty liked this
By David F
Ohhh lantua island, if you ever get that thing plugging away, let me know I'd be very interested in a trade!
By Lock
Pretty, in your 1.10.13 update, the first photo (a brevifolia, I think) has astonishing coloration on the plants. I'm just curious, did you alter the color of the photo at all, or are the plants naturally that bright red?

In any case, your plants look great! Nice job. -Lock
By pretty
Lock wrote:Pretty, in your 1.10.13 update, the first photo (a brevifolia, I think) has astonishing coloration on the plants. I'm just curious, did you alter the color of the photo at all, or are the plants naturally that bright red?

In any case, your plants look great! Nice job. -Lock
Yes, they naturally get a lot of color when conditions are right. Everything I hear about drosera in general is that the amount of light has to do with the coloration- of course they revel in light but these seem to depend on water and feeding. To me this seems to be a pretty hardy plant, doesn't mind being transplanted, going completely dry, cold temps, leaf cuttings, ect. but to keep it deep red/burgandy I have to over feed it and keep it WET on 16/8 hours in 77+f heat.

Sadly my inconsistency with them in turn gives me the changes in their color week to week-

Funny to me you're asking if this picture was colored, because I was thinking the plant was very green, and wondering what I needed to do to boost the color! haha!

Happy plants: In real life these pots/plants look identical.

Taken with my cell phone, regular flash, overhead 2700k bulb. You can't even see the dew:

Taken with my camera, no flash, back-lit by a 6500k light bulb . I was attempting to capture the dew:

The pictures weren't colored. I got a new camera so I WAS playing with settings and options while i clicked away but the only photos I've edited/used diff settings were these:

This one I had used the fish eye lens option on my camera:

and I used the 'natural snow' camera option on these making them glow:
By Lock
That's really cool. To be honest, I hadn't thought that Droseras could get that bright red, but apparently they can. Before seeing this thread, I hadn't paid any attention to Brevifolias, but now I feel compelled to get one. Curse yoooou!

Thread subbed. It seems like sundews are your forte. Very interesting collection. -Lock
Lock liked this
By pretty
Alright, really getting impatient. I want to ID these bad boys! I know I've got a bit of a wait ahead. A few of these may be ready to get ID'd tho. I know the first 2 pots are capensis, just have to figure out which flavor. If you look at something and think, 'Oh, that's got to be (insert drosera name here) because of this..' please, let me know!! My growlist link in my signature has the list of possible types.
Also check out my moss box at the bottom of the list, got any ideas on that?

Here goes. These are some the mystery seedlings that have been xplanted into small temp containers.

pot 1

pot 2

pot 3

pot 4

pot 5

pot 6

pot 7

pot 8

pot 9

pot 10

pot 11

pot 12

pot 13

pot 14

Here are D.cape root cuttings and brevifolia seedlings

D. brevifolia

D. cape flower stalk

D. affinis

Mini window water garden

The moss box
Image What do u think this is? Scallop shaped leaves? Is it even moss??
pretty liked this
By bananaman
The things with the scalloped leaves is a liverwort of some sort...
Really great plants.
I suggest feeding the mystery seedlings more so that they will grow faster.
My D. burmanni seedlings have grown extremely fast for drosera now that I feed essentially every leaf...

I think you should join the ICPS and donate some D. brevifolia seeds!
I would love to get a hold of some of those....

Anyway, really nice plants!
By pretty
thanks Lock!

The burmannii red was easy to spread out when they were about 4 weeks old, they snyderi took quite some patience. LOL. The green burmannii had a HUGE germination rate, plus I had no idea there were THAT many of them- They'll be seperated out as I pick out and transplant the largest ones to give the little guys room to spread their leaves.

I named my capensis Monster Mama for the contest, by the way. loooooooool
By pretty
okay, random update (just happens to be thursday ha)

These aren't the best quality pix, but i think you'll get the idea.

shelf 1, spatulata, collinsiea, brevifolia, capensis typical, affinis, capensis alba/albino

shelf 2, burmannii red, starting to show their true colors, burmannii greenies, been moving them out few by few to make room! going to get them a larger grow space soon. snyderi, affinis, capensis alba/albino

shelf 3, capensis alba/albino, pear, brown asian pear, S. minor var. okeofennskis X rubra ssp. gulfensis, s. leucophylla, unknown succulent

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!