FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By jdoraz13
So I decided to try several different growing techniques over the winter lets see how it goes.
What I have is 1 cut flower stalk, 2 leaf pullings, and 1 division. I've been taking pics here and there of my progress and to share as a first timer.

the stalk was about 2 1/2 inches when I cut it, I had to plant in Peat/Perlite because of a delay in receiving my LFS
4 Weeks later...

the leaf pullings came a week later once my LFS arrived
and 3 weeks later I believe there may may be a callous/strike on one of the leaves I circled it (I know the pic is hard to see)

And lastly an unexpected division that came when re-potting I decided to let it skip dormancy :shock:
it started out with 3 traps on it and is now up to 8 traps and 3 new growths coming in :D
most recently...

That's it for now... Hopefully I'll have some success and get some strikes soon.
Last edited by jdoraz13 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By jdoraz13
pieguy452 wrote:Very nice job with the strikes! Hopefully the flower stalk will catch on :)
Thanks, I'm hoping the stalk catches too I've seen a lot of great growth from flower stalks on this forum... How long should I wait before checking the stalk below the media? I've read some people wait 1 month (which is where I'm at now) and others wait up to 2 months or more.
Ginsburg wrote:awesome - well done. Can't wait to try my hand at this sometime :)
Thanks, I suggest trying it out it's fun and also it gives you more experience with experimenting different growing methods.
By jdoraz13
quick update my leaf pulling looks like its doing great, the flower stalk had some callous' on it so I put it deeper into the media and now it's the waiting game... very tempting to peak but I wont lol

By jdoraz13
***UPDATED PICS ON MY PROPAGATION PROJECTS***
So I had a flower stalk but ended up losing it to rot shortly after it started to strike :(
but I have had some luck with my leaf pulling and division a flower stalk started to form about 3 months
after this plant divided and has been growing fast.

this was taken at the end of January

One week later after re-potting with the leaf pulling

@ Three weeks

and as of yesterday 1 month
By tish
Very cool to see you have almost 100% success on what you have started. Anyway, how did your flower stalk rot? Did you water too much? Was the soil too wet?

So for the new flower stalk, I guess you wont be cutting for another attempt. Good luck yeah :) Nice photos too!
tish liked this
By jdoraz13
Goodkoalie wrote:Nice that you are letting it flower. I just noticed my first venus flytrap flower yesterday.
thanks, I wanted to let the first stalk grow but it was to close to dormancy I didn't want to risk losing the plant since I am relatively new at growing VFT's
tish wrote:Very cool to see you have almost 100% success on what you have started. Anyway, how did your flower stalk rot? Did you water too much? Was the soil too wet?

So for the new flower stalk, I guess you wont be cutting for another attempt. Good luck yeah :) Nice photos too!
I was only misting it once a day, but the pot that I had wasn't great. It wasn't a tray style instead it was like a bell shape with a drain but any excess water would collected at the bottom of the pot... Now I know better.. And ya I'm letting this one flower should be any day now a few bulbs are starting to open!! :D
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!