FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Bobby S
Another Seed Question

Is late June a normal time for seeds to be done? Or are my seed pods burning up from the heat?

Im asking because its been pretty hot around where i live right now, and some of my plants got sunburned at this time last year.

Thanks in advanced for the replies!
By Veronis
Hard to say with any certainty without seeing close-up or macro photos of the pods, but lots of people are harvesting flytrap seeds this week.

Here's a post from yesterday and today about it in fact, with pics of ready-to-harvest pods: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/vft-s ... 16098.html

Here's a few more pics of seed pods that are ready for harvest...only the black ones, though.

Still green = still making seeds.
IMG_0837.jpg
IMG_0837.jpg (88.88 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0812.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Veronis liked this
By Bobby S
Thanks, this really helped. One of my pods are all black, but not torn open yet, is it ok if i get the seeds already from it or should i wait?
By 3foot2011
I am a noob at this but I got a dune craft micro terrarium and no germination at all could you possibly help me out or point me in the right direction to some fresh free seed
By Darkrai283
3foot2011 wrote:I am a noob at this but I got a dune craft micro terrarium and no germination at all could you possibly help me out or point me in the right direction to some fresh free seed
I think it'll be best for you and everybody else if you wait for a reply on your own tread instead of asking for seeds on other's.
3foot2011 wrote:I am a noob at this but I got a dune craft micro terrarium and no germination at all
Those "Grow your own VFT!" seedling kits are absolutely unreliable. While Duncraft includes actual VFT and other CP seeds into teir kits, they are often very old and are already un-viable from the start. Also, those types of kits from other companies usually include 'non-carnivorous' plant seeds such as strawberry and blackberry seeds.
3foot2011 wrote:could you possibly help me out or point me in the right direction to some fresh free seed
The VFT seed harvest season is generally from July at the earliest to September/October. It's highly unlikely for anybody to have a surplus of VFT seeds at this time of the year so you'll probably have to wait till September to get free seeds from any members here who are happy to share their seeds for free.

I think the best thing for you to do is to go to the FlyTrapStore and BUY a pack of VFT seeds (40 in a pack) for $8 or $9 (I can't recall the price right now). The seeds are always top quality and the resulting seedlings are often very unique and marvellous.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!