FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By cowcowdude
My Venus Fly Trap seemed to be doing pretty well for the past few days, until i noticed that one of its brand new summer leaves started turning black. I know its normal for leaves to turn black and die after the consumption of prey. But this one haven't even opened up yet. What's going on with my plant?

Cj
By Carl
What’s your weather been like the last few days? I sometimes find in VERY sunny and hot days my plants can get a little sun burnt and turn new developing traps black.

Also have you moving the location of the plant or changed any other the plant condition (Water, repoting Ect..Ect.....)
By Matt
I agree with mlvc2002. I have noticed that sometimes the traps turn black and die before they even have a chance to mature if the plant gets sunburned or if the plant is a little stressed, like when it comes into a new environment. Also, I think that I have correlated this with when the plant is flowering. It seems to me that if the plant is flowering, this creates enough stress that sometimes the traps don't fully develop.
By cowcowdude
You're probably right, it has been extremely sunny and hot for the past few days. What do you suggest me do about it. Should i move it to a shadier location?
By WORMSS
England is shadier :D
ow, you mean move the plant ;) hehe
By Matt
cowcowdude wrote:You're probably right, it has been extremely sunny and hot for the past few days. What do you suggest me do about it. Should i move it to a shadier location?
Yeah, perhaps put it somewhere that is shaded during the hottest hours of the day.
By Timmy
Feed two heads a year. That will suffice.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!