FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
For a while I've had tray lining the sidewalk to my door. The problem, aside from taking up space, was that my house would block a few hours of sunlight. Over all the plants did fine, but I wanted to take advantage of parts of my yard that got more sun. I took some leftover landscape lumber and deck boards and built a small platform. It's not pretty, but it serves its purpose quite well.

I would say I had less than half as many plants one year ago.

Here is how my plants look now in all their glory. ;)

By Coldzercp
But still it is a great collection :D
Just keep on growing (nice set up)
Coldzercp liked this
By pieguy452
Nice setup, and I agree with coldzercp, it's still an awesome collection!
pieguy452 liked this
By parker679
Thanks all.

In hindsight I should have made it a little bigger but I only had six 8-foot pieces of lumber so my max was 4X4 feet. I'm thinking of making another smaller platform to allow for expansion and to move the couple pots still left on the sidewalk.

As far as growing this year, I'm sure of it. All the pots with white tents are seeds, 10 or 20 per pot, that I'm trying a natural stratification on, when I checked them yesterday most pots had sprouts, we'll see what the strike rate is doing it naturally. There's S. purp, S. flava, S. leuco, S. jonesii, S. X Doodlebug, and S. rubra wherryi X S. purpurea ssp. purpurea.

I also have some S. alabamensis seeds stratifying in the fridge and a couple neat hybrid seeds from Brooks Garcia in the mail.

Oh, and that green inverted soda bottle is a clump of probably 10 or so seedlings I got from Eric(Dionaea) which should be big enough to separate once they start growing again.
By parker679
weaver wrote:what type of cloth are you using to protect some of the cps?
It's a drainage cloth, the type you would use to cover landscape drainage pipes that are burried in the ground. They sell it by the yard at HomeDepot in different widths. I got the idea from here.

Though I think they used cloth that was already cylindrical. What I did was measure the circumference of my pot and then added an inch. I cut the length of cloth down to that width(circ. plus 1inch) and folded it in half length wise then had my wife sew a seam a half inch in from the open side. The added inch was to give her room to work, though it doesn't have to be exact. If you're off it's ideally on the smaller side since the fabric will stretch a little and hug the pot. I then took the long cylinder of fabric and cut it into sections long enough to fit on the pot. It took some trial and error to get the length down, knots take up more fabric than you'd expect.

It's thin enough to let light/water through but because of the slope you don't get splashing which would disturb the seeds. The hardest part is the cutting and sewing, after that you just stick a stake in the pot, knot one side of the fabric and slide it over. If you can get the stuff that's already a cylinder and it's not too much more I'd say get it, it's worth it to save the hassle.
parker679 liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!