FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By cpZack
My flytrap is currently dormant. It has been outside buyt it recently got to cold for it(Uner the 32f mark) for a while so I moved it into my office closet(Very dark and about 40-60F). Some of the traps are dying, is this normal? On onte of the leaves where the trap is dead I pulled it off for a leaf pulling to grow more flytraps. Will this harm the plant? I only have one VFT and I do not want itto die.
By tommyr
Some traps do die from time to time. If it's closer to 40F where it is it'll be fine. Pulling off the leaf won't kill it.
By tommyr
Mine live in the fridge over winter. They do just fine.
By Starchy
It is more ideal for them to get 4-5 hours of sunlight during dormancy. If you live in an area where it is not possible to achieve the proper temperature and light requirements, it is perfectly fine to bag your VFT and put it in the fridge for dormancy, as tommyr has been doing for a while now.

@cpZack- I wouldn't bother trying leaf cuttings from a dormant VFT. The strike rate is significantly lower than when you take a pulling from an actively growing plant. Also, a VFT can survive if the temp goes below freezing, as long as it is not for too long (deep freezes). My VFTs have been exposed to temperatures as low as 21F.
Starchy liked this
By pieguy452
There will be some traps that will die off when the plant's growing conditions change rapidly. This is normal and as the other have stated, your flytrap should be fine :)
By Ras
Starchy wrote:It is more ideal for them to get 4-5 hours of sunlight during dormancy. If you live in an area where it is not possible to achieve the proper temperature and light requirements, it is perfectly fine to bag your VFT and put it in the fridge for dormancy, as tommyr has been doing for a while now.

@cpZack- I wouldn't bother trying leaf cuttings from a dormant VFT. The strike rate is significantly lower than when you take a pulling from an actively growing plant. Also, a VFT can survive if the temp goes below freezing, as long as it is not for too long (deep freezes). My VFTs have been exposed to temperatures as low as 21F.
cuttings and pullings are different
I doubt you could ever make a leaf cutting work for a vft
pulling, on the other hand, that is different . when you get the white part of the leaf that is on the rhizome it has a pretty high success rate for me
like5out of 6 worked
just pluck them off and put the white part in dirt and leave the rest of the leaf unburied so it can catch light , works like a charm if the plant is healthy
Im not sure about dormant leaves, but yea.
By parker679
I think those conditions are iffy. It's correct that fridge dormant plants don't need sun, but a fridge temp is 40F MAX.

If your closet is 40-60 I think the plant is better off outside because those temps just aren't low enough to make the plant fully dormant.
By Starchy
Ras wrote:
Starchy wrote:It is more ideal for them to get 4-5 hours of sunlight during dormancy. If you live in an area where it is not possible to achieve the proper temperature and light requirements, it is perfectly fine to bag your VFT and put it in the fridge for dormancy, as tommyr has been doing for a while now.

cuttings and pullings are different
I doubt you could ever make a leaf cutting work for a vft
pulling, on the other hand, that is different . when you get the white part of the leaf that is on the rhizome it has a pretty high success rate for me
like5out of 6 worked
just pluck them off and put the white part in dirt and leave the rest of the leaf unburied so it can catch light , works like a charm if the plant is healthy
Im not sure about dormant leaves, but yea.
oops, that was just a typo, I meant to say leaf pulling
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!