FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ras
just got one of these guys and need a basic guide since i haven't seen any info on how to grow it online and haven't talked to anyone who owns one, figured its time to make a post.

basically looking for
dormancy requirements
humidity level needed
temperature range (if possible)
I'm also wondering if it self pollinates and if its prone to root rot or if i have to watch out for any other illnesses its susceptible to

ALSO as far as mexican pings go I was wondering, do they need to be forced into dormancy each year or do they just do it on their own sometimes and THEN you put them into dormancy conditions
or.. whats the deal
I have a few im trying to put into dormancy (succulent leaves) because I thought thats what they need but I cant seem to get them to do it, drastically lowered the photo period and put them on my cold windowsill that has the window cracked open or all the way open 90% of the time (freezing temps outside) they just seem to get greener and bigger, much much bigger

any info helps
thanks
By BoothEatsBUGS
http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/produc ... cts_id=149

It's a tropical so no necessary dormancy.

I would give it typical ping care, loose open soil, I tray water mine through a flood and drain system.

I honestly dont think humidity is a factor unless you're growing specific nepenthes and heliamphora.

I stand to be corrected though

Booth
BoothEatsBUGS liked this
By Grey
Research into P. guatamala indicates that it is a 'Mexican' Pinguicula (please note that the use of the word 'Mexican' is more for category purposes with regards to winter growth habits rather than location), this info comes from Pinguicula.org, a superb resource if I may say so. Here's a link:

http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes ... ynalta.htm

You'll have to scroll down a little for the care info. Because it is a 'Mexican' Pinguicula it has two growth states as described below...

Mexican pinguicula don't have a dormancy period (though the term is often used), they change their growth habits from carnivorous (summer) leaves to succulent (winter) leaves. The cold won't really affect them much, what you need to do is lower lighting gradually and stop watering. Let 'em dry out. You can water them once every few weeks if you feel you must but I haven't watered some of mine for over a month and they're fine. The key to a good, successful and prolonged succulent phase is lack of water.

It's not uncommon for Mexican Pinguicula to sometimes enter their succulent growth phase randomly during the year, this could be due to lack of water where it's needed (right at the roots) or just because these plants are massive trolls.
Grey liked this
By Ras
Grey wrote:Research into P. guatamala indicates that it is a 'Mexican' Pinguicula (please note that the use of the word 'Mexican' is more for category purposes with regards to winter growth habits rather than location), this info comes from Pinguicula.org, a superb resource if I may say so. Here's a link:

http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes ... ynalta.htm

You'll have to scroll down a little for the care info. Because it is a 'Mexican' Pinguicula it has two growth states as described below...

Mexican pinguicula don't have a dormancy period (though the term is often used), they change their growth habits from carnivorous (summer) leaves to succulent (winter) leaves. The cold won't really affect them much, what you need to do is lower lighting gradually and stop watering. Let 'em dry out. You can water them once every few weeks if you feel you must but I haven't watered some of mine for over a month and they're fine. The key to a good, successful and prolonged succulent phase is lack of water.

It's not uncommon for Mexican Pinguicula to sometimes enter their succulent growth phase randomly during the year, this could be due to lack of water where it's needed (right at the roots) or just because these plants are massive trolls.
thanks but it looks like that is a link for sp 'Synalta'
I dont think that is the same plant as mine

and ty for the info on dormancy, thats the only thing I wasn't doing was letting them fully dry out
By Ras
Grey wrote:Ah, do forgive me, I've had this happen before with Pinguicula.org; regardless of the mix up I will say that P. guatemala is a Mexican Pinguicula and should be treated as such.
its np and ty
and should I put it in dormancy with my other older pings? i just got this plant last week and im unsure if i should put it on the windowsill or not
but does it need any extra humidity?i have it with my primaflora in a dome but it still even looks a little dry
Starchy wrote:Got any photos Ras?
not at the moment, I dont have my camera
By Grey
Ras wrote:
Grey wrote:its np and ty
and should I put it in dormancy with my other older pings? i just got this plant last week and im unsure if i should put it on the windowsill or not
but does it need any extra humidity?i have it with my primaflora in a dome but it still even looks a little dry
Starchy wrote:Got any photos Ras?
not at the moment, I dont have my camera
I've done a lot of digging and have found photographs of Pinguicula sp. "Guatemala" in a winter growth phase, the problem is my source is google :lol: so I don't really think that is enough to get a basis off. One of the photographs comes from bestcarnivorous plants, mind you:

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.org/fo ... -2380.html

My gut is telling me it's a Mexican Pinguicula and has a winter growth state like other Mexican pings; this change in growth isn't actually a dormancy so I can see why it may be referred to as a 'tropical' plant. I don't dispute the site that BoothEatsBUGS linked, especially considering it is a well known and well loved site by many, but I have seen others mislabel the Pinguicula as tropical because they don't show the typical characteristics of a plant that has a wet dormancy (I know I've done this myself, too).

You may wish to not attempt to induce a change in growth, especially as it is a new plant and there doesn't seem to be much information, but really the choice is yours. I'd risk it personally because the winter rest period is vital to the long-term health of a plant - but again, it isn't my plant and it isn't my money.

With regards to humidity... I don't usually fuss about humidity with my Mexican Pinguicula except when germinating seeds; the humidity dome shouldn't do the plant any harm, but if you move it to and from then you will likely find that it stops producing mucus for a while. Also consider how moist the plant is kept; Mexican Pinguicula are very prone to root rot.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more.
Grey liked this
By Ras
lol grey you answered everything I needed to know! no need to be sorry
I'm gonna put it on the windowsill with the others, it came with a leaf that had a plantlet growing out of it which i already separated and I also took two leaf pullings before I transplanted it (it seemed like a good opportunity)
so if it doesnt survive on the window I should have more to work with
as far as the problems with no dew goes, I think I'm going to chalk it up to the plant recovering
since the baby is dewy and seems happy I figure the bigger plant was just a little damaged in the shipping
Btw the site booth linked is where I bought mine, I literally got the last or one of the last ones lol they went "sold out" minutes after I got the confirmation email about my order

and I can tell from looking at that photo that is my plant, not even a doubt
the shape is even the same even though they are succulent leaves
makes me think my plant was on the verge of going succulent right when I bought it

anyways thanks again
I think you pretty much covered all my questions :D
By Ras
ok i got my camera back today

^Guatemala
^cyclosecta
^big ones are unkown, either wesser or sethos or moranensis, or all three
small ones next to the thumbtack are P. Yucca 1717 and the thumbtack is for size reference
those are the ones Im trying to go succulent, but they wouldnt stop getting larger and greener rather then going to sleep for winter

Annnddd I was hoping you could help me Id these new babies, I mixed the tags up and what not on accident..
I have an idea of most of them, I just mixed the labels on a few
I was hoping you could give me your input on the unknown ones and the ones that I have labeled under two names, for example "its either this or that", if you could tell me which of the two you think it most likely is it would help my curiosity... at least until they flower so I can get a true ID
I color coded them so to speak

Picture 1
possibly Gacilis?Its unknown sofar
P. Yucca 1717
huajuapan OR Titan OR true blue
Gracilis x moctezumae (I think)
esseriana

Picture 2
Gypsicola x kohres I think
Agnata TrueBlue OR TItan
Guatemala
Moranensis
John Rizi OR gigiantea
gigantea x moctezumae

as you see some of them Im unsure of,
any insight? do any of them look familiar to you that you can ID?
I realize its hard to tell at this age so again, dont worry about being right lol just want to know what you think if you HAD to guess because It is literally eating me alive
Ras liked this
By Grey
Your Pinguicula are stunning, wow. They'll be absolutely incredible in summer!! The moranensis hybrids are remarkable; if you let them dry out they may just change into succulents for you, mine usually grow more upright than other Pings during winter.
Ras wrote:Picture 1
possibly Gacilis?Its unknown sofar I can't really see them properly; gracilis are very, very tiny though!
P. Yucca 1717 Seems right
huajuapan OR Titan OR true blue Too small to tell at the moment, I think.
Gracilis x moctezumae (I think) I most certainly think so; the leaves are tell tale of a moctezumae hybrid
esseriana Too small to tell but very probable.

Picture 2
Gypsicola x kohres I think Seems likely due to leaf formation.
Agnata TrueBlue OR TItan Seems reminsicent of agnata, though I'm not sure.
Guatemala
Moranensis
John Rizi OR gigiantea
gigantea x moctezumae

The others are too similar to tell apart at this point.
My responses are in bold italics and some funky dark red colour hahah. If they grow well you may be able to tell the differences by mid to late summer. Fingers crossed.
Grey liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!