FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By plantfreak1
For christmas i built myself a greenhouse from scratch. Its 8ft long, 8 ft wide and it has a sloped roof going from 8ft to 5 ft. Wood frame, gravel floor, and the cold north wall is made entirely of wood. It is covered in 4 mil plastic. I will try to get up some pictures tomorrow.
It gets waay too hot! The hottest it has been is 106F! It cools down to the 80s and 90s if i prop the door open, but i know that wont be adequete in the summer and i also want to conserve humidity in the greenhouse. The lighting is bright and diffused through the plastic (just about perfect), so i dont want to cover it with shade cloth to reduce heat becasue i will also lose precious light. So, ive decided i need to get an air conditioner or swamp cooler before i can put any nepenthes or any of my other tropical houseplants inside. Ive sort of ruled out the swamp cooler because just about everyone ive talked to says they start to lose efficiency over 90 degrees,(correct me if they are wrong ;) ) . And it will get about 30 degrees hotter than that in summer. So it has to be an air conditioner. Obviously i need one with a high enough btu rating to handle these high temps, but im getting mixed answers from btu calculators. Ive seen as low as 2000 BTUs and as high as 17,000. I have a limited budget and would prefer to get one only slightly stronger than i need rather than go overboard. And i am too far into this project to give it up now. Please help. Thanks in advance. :D
By kevnep
I use aircon and I must say the btu must be the same as aircon that you put in the house I think mine is 19000 btu. I bought a mobile aircon that cost quite a bit but works extremely well. Whatever you do don't cheap out! Another thing is the aircon will drastically lower humidity so if you want I would recommend a hydrofogger. It will keep humidity very high and it will drop the temperature by 2-5 degrees celcius
By plantfreak1
Ya. And i like the light levels. Kevnep, how big is your greenhouse?
By plantfreak1
Thats about twice the size of mine. I might be able to use a 10,000 btu on mine if a 17,000btu is sufficient for yours. How hot do your summers get?
By plantfreak1
Here it is.
jadens pics 016.JPG
jadens pics 016.JPG (35.73 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
jadens pics 018.JPG
jadens pics 018.JPG (25.55 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
By plantfreak1
Well, i finally bought an air conditioner. I work at a hardware store and my boss was able to give me a sweet deal on it. It is a 10,000 btu. It says it is good for medium rooms from 200-300 square feet. Considering my greenhouse is only 64 square feet, and the hot summer sun is going to bring the ambient air temperature to 120 degrees farainheight outside of the greenhouse, this should do it. I will post pictures of it tomorrow. And i still need to cut a hole in the back of my greenhouse to fit it. Overall, i am excited and should be able to move my nepenthes inside it soon :D
By coline
plantfreak1 wrote:Well, i finally bought an air conditioner. I work at a hardware store and my boss was able to give me a sweet deal on it. It is a 10,000 btu. It says it is good for medium rooms from 200-300 square feet. Considering my greenhouse is only 64 square feet, and the hot summer sun is going to bring the ambient air temperature to 120 degrees farainheight outside of the greenhouse, this should do it. I will post pictures of it tomorrow. And i still need to cut a hole in the back of my greenhouse to fit it. Overall, i am excited and should be able to move my nepenthes inside it soon :D
So after so many years, how did it end up working?
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!