FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
It's been flowering for over a month now. Does this thing ever stop flowering???
By Duane
Adam wrote:It's been flowering for over a month now. Does this thing ever stop flowering???

Hi Adam

i'm guessing you are talking about D.binata at present mine has flowered already for two months and still sending up new flower stalks .

Duane
By mkburleson
Adam wrote:It's been flowering for over a month now. Does this thing ever stop flowering???
IMO Flowerstalks take energy away from the plant & unless I am going to be collecting seed from it I always cut the flowerstalk off. That being said; I have two 'Red Piranhas' that are just about ready to collect seed from (they are crossed with 'B52') & the plants are doing poorly enough that I want to cut the flowerstalks off now & forget about the seed. Craig (hubby) keeps telling me not to, that they will be fine. If he is wrong he is never going to hear the end of it. :twisted:

Mary
By Siannuro
mkburleson wrote:
IMO Flowerstalks take energy away from the plant & unless I am going to be collecting seed from it I always cut the flowerstalk off. That being said; I have two 'Red Piranhas' that are just about ready to collect seed from (they are crossed with 'B52') & the plants are doing poorly enough that I want to cut the flowerstalks off now & forget about the seed. Craig (hubby) keeps telling me not to, that they will be fine. If he is wrong he is never going to hear the end of it. :twisted:

Mary
I don't want to sound mean but ummmm this is a sundew topic, not a venus flytrap. ^.^'
By mkburleson
Siannuro wrote:
mkburleson wrote:

Mary
I don't want to sound mean but ummmm this is a sundew topic, not a venus flytrap. ^.^'
Unless we are collecting seed we cut the flowerstalks off of all of our CPs, this includes all of our Drosera.

Mary :)
By Adam
I've cut the subsequent flower stalks off (there was only one). But this first one is still flowering. I'm going to dig out an old thread about when it opened up it's first flowers to see how long this thing's been going on for :D
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!