FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
Day 98

Here's how my 'Jaws' is doing almost 100 days after I received it from FTS:

I had to clip off the 3 larger traps that it came with after they had trouble digesting each of their first meals. There were only tiny traps for about 1-2 months, but then they gradually started getting bigger again. All the while, the whole plant was beginning to clump.
Starchy liked this
By Starchy
Day 76

After having no success for over 2 months, I decided to put my entire container of D. indica in a gallon ziplock bag with distilled water at the bottom to increase humidity. I saw germination of the seeds in under 1 week. I am always going to use this method when growing from seed, moving forward.

I did a little reading on D. indica, and found that they experience a wet season of growth where they are essentially drenched. Then during the dry season in Australia, they mostly die back, and are grown the following year from the seeds they drop. In hindsight, I would have made my medium using more silica sand, as that would replicate their natural environment more.

Here are the little seedlings as they look today (I have about 10-20 so far):

By Starchy
Day 60/Day 75

So it is still a learning process with these darn Cobras. It looks like I currently have 3 that have developed carnivorous leaves (1 of which might be dying), and 2 others that are still kicking (but with no carnivorous leaves).

Here is how 3 of them look as of today:

this guy is looking less healthy...

One thing I have learned with Darlingtonia... it takes about 12 hours for a plant to go from super healthy to super dead :?
By pieguy452
Awesome looking jaws and good luck with the baby plants!
By Starchy
Day 187

Thought I'd share some winter pics of my Jaws. It seems to look less like a dormant VFT than my typical one does:

Some of my traps are getting pretty good color. They are in an insulated shed on a south-facing window. So far, the lowest night-time temperature is 31F.
By aaa61
I love the jaws keep it up and you'll have a super big vigorous plant :D
aaa61 liked this
By Starchy
Day 61

Had the plant for about 2 months now (1 month acclimating it to the cold, and 1 month being completely outside). Today, the temperature reached 60F in Boston, so I came out to take some photos to update the Sarr's progress:

By Starchy
Day 29

Took a few photos of my tarnok today. I can't wait to see some new pitchers coming up!

A bugs last images before becoming a snack:

By Starchy
Day 107

Now that my FTS Crimson Sawtooth started producing spring traps, I figured it would be a good time to re-pot. I also had noticed that either the plant had split over dormancy, or FTS gave me 2 plants for the price of 1 (probably the latter). Anyway, here are some photos of the process. I feel like I might have not planted the larger one deep enough, and am exposing too much. Let me know your thoughts...

Before the split:

After the split:

Last edited by Starchy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By akinkysnorlax
Great job with re-potting Starchy. I can see what you are saying about the elevation of the rhizome. I personally think its fine. If you are worried you could always put a top layer of LFS around it or in the whole pot. Question though, what is the wooden stick for that is with the plant? Is it for labeling or some other purpose?
By Starchy
akinkysnorlax wrote:Great job with re-potting Starchy. I can see what you are saying about the elevation of the rhizome. I personally think its fine. If you are worried you could always put a top layer of LFS around it or in the whole pot. Question though, what is the wooden stick for that is with the plant? Is it for labeling or some other purpose?
Its a toothpick that Im using to stop a stubborn dormant trap from curling back in on the plant. I am gonna feed it soon so it can die off.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!