FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nick_
Would it be safe to put several VFTs together in a small pot?
By Adam
Yes they do fine. Their roots grow straight down.
By cookie0117
Nick_ wrote:Would it be safe to put several VFTs together in a small pot?
If you get a pot about 6 inches/ 15 cm deep they will much happier than in a 4 inch pot.
By CPcaregiver
Actually, it's established that VFT's do much better with deeper root room, so try to put them in taller pots.
By Matt
As others have already stated, it depends on which dimension of the pot is small. If it's small around but fairly deep, like a cup, that's fine. If it's small and shallow, best to use something a little deeper. I'd recommend at least 4 inches of depth at a minimum. The deeper the better.
By xr280xr
I agree with the rest with the addition that you may want to try to only group plants of similar age/size together. More mature plants can really go wild during the growing season, using 4-5 times more the space as when they are dormant, which could block the sunlight or your view of the younger plants. They sprout up this way naturally too so that's not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider in your layout. Younger plants may also have shorter roots at first so in colder months, it could potentially be a problem trying to keep the short roots near the top layer of soil most without leaving longer roots near the bottom soggy to the point of rotting (especially if tray watering).

You can also take into consideration your watering schedule when choosing your pot size. A larger and deeper pot will probably retain water for longer. This can be good if you tend to forget to check the water or are unsure of when exactly to add more water. It can also be prone to staying too wet in the colder months. So it's personal preference.
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!