FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By tonyUK
Hi:
I have been thinking for quite awhile about getting a grow light just for the winter months to help my seeds along & my
Plants that don't need a winter.

I have been searching on here and could not find my answer so thought I would ask here. I'm looking for a small grow light
That will cover about 5 small pots I don't have much room so can't be to big.
By tonyUK
I just did a search online and found some grow lights I like. They need to be able to grow about 5 small pots
What one do you think will be best for what I'm looking for I really don't no to much about grow lights and need all
The advice I can get. I'm hoping to find one that won't cost to much to run if possable.

1) http://www.gardenbestbuys.com/all_propa ... um=Organic

(This is the one I like the most if this one is any good I might just order)
2) http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 7503319030

(Maybe 2 of these)
3) http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 9636311845

Will all the bulbs supplied with theses grow setups be ok to use Or wil I need to update then?
By tonyUK
update:
I have orded a Lightwave Grow light with 2 24 watts blue tubes. Will 2 blue tubes
Be ok or will I need to change one tube to red?
By cyph3r_gfy
6500K (Blue) will be sufficient for you. The red spectrum is really used to promote flowering/fruiting. I would only recommend for plants that are a little tougher to flower/fruit such as pepper plants, or for plants that you are specifically trying to flower. That's not to say, your plants won't flower with a 6500K bulb. This is my opinion, of course.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By tonyUK
Hi:
How high above my plants should I place my grow light. I got myself a set of rope ratchets to help me
Quickly adjust the height. Also do I have to keep adjusting the height or once the height is set that's where it stays..
By David F
Step 1. Go to walmart
Step 2. Buy the light setup and proper coloring (one bulb 4500k one bulb 6000-6500k)
Step 3. choose an appropriate size.
Step 4. plug in grow wonderful plants

*Edit, make sure its the 2' or 4' one (really cheap and works great)
By cyph3r_gfy
Personally, I keep my florescents at about 12in/30cm to 18in/45cm above the tops of the plants. My bulbs are high output bulbs and there are 4 of them. I'm experimenting with adjusting height to simulate seasonal sun strength.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By tonyUK
Hi Im looking at getting a second grow light the one im looking at is 125w grow light bulb. How many pots of seeds would i be able to grow under this bulb. When my seeds are grown what is the most amount of pots i can have under the light at one time. Will i need to use a ballast on the grown light?

My last question is at the top of the Artificial Lighting forum so i thought it would be best to ask my question here.
By cyph3r_gfy
if you're using florescent... no ballast, just the reflector. You're making me think you're talking about a Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium bulb.

For your quantity question, it is really about how many you can provide coverage for. My current setup (4ft florescent w/ 4 HO T5 bulbs), I put a couple 75 cell trays under it with nice coverage for starting seed in addition to my existing indoor plants (4 large pots w/ several plants in each). If i were to add more, I'd start to be concerned about light diffusion.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By tonyUK
Hi:
The light i was talking about i do belive is a cfl grow light 125w would you need a ballast?

I only recived my Lightwave a couple of days ago so not had time to set it up. I have 9 plants and about 5 pots of seeds so i thought i would get a second light so i could spread them out more. When my plants get bigger im going to repot them in to bigger pots so need more room.

I have been looking at lots of diffrent grow lights and here is my second grow light.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBLAZER-T5- ... 19d78a8902

I dont have much room to spread my lights out so i bought myself a metal shelf so i can have one light above the other. More light & not much more room
taken up. Can i use tin foil to cover the sides of the shelfs to keep more light in?

When all my setup has arrived i will post some photos..
By cyph3r_gfy
Can i use tin foil to cover the sides of the shelfs to keep more light in?
Foil or mylar sheets help to reduce diffusion, aiding in light coverage. I personally don't use any additional light reflection, but know many indoor growers that do.
The light i was talking about i do belive is a cfl grow light 125w would you need a ballast?
Really depends on the bulb. Many screw in CFLs today have the ballast built into the bulb and just need the correct socket to be used. If it's a 2 pin or 4 pin, you may need a ballast. The bulb specs should tell you whether or not the ballast is integrated or not.

A quote from energystar.gov: "A CFL’s ballast helps "kick start" the CFL and then regulates the current once the electricity starts flowing."

Overall, I'd say you're planning well... keep up the good work. I don't have any experience with the sunblazers, so I can't comment on their quality and/or performance with any certainty.
cyph3r_gfy liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!