FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Does anyone else here grow it?
I just got a seed-grown one from California Carnivores.
I put it in an undrained 1 gallon pot with a 1:1 mix of LFS and perlite.

I love section Orchidioides Utricularia (by the way section Iperua, which this plant formerly belonged to, has been merged with Orchidioides. I don't see why U. longifolia and U. tricolor are not in this section, as for all intensive purposes, they need the same requirements and have similar flowers.)

Anyway, I wanted to share the good news!
By RL7836
Congrats on your new baby. I find humbo's fairly easy to grow but none have bloomed for me yet -- so I'm still not doing something right .... aaaargh. Hopefully you can help unlock some of their secrets
I don't see why U. longifolia and U. tricolor are not in this section, as for all intensive purposes, they need the same requirements and have similar flowers.
I agree - it would be interesting to hear from a taxonomist on this.

We have a long, ongoing discussion thread on the big utrics (well ... mostly big but a few of the Orchidioides are small) - feel free to drop in (lots of pics & links to travel articles) ... 8^)
By bananaman
I've already read that whole thread!
There are some great plants there.

This is my first Orchidioides Utricularia, although I am getting a reniformis soon.
I recently joined TF just to learn more about utrics, because there isn't much on them here.

I really hope my humbo will take off for me.

Thanks for the info!
By RL7836
bananaman wrote:I've already read that whole thread!
There are some great plants there.
Wow!
bananaman wrote:This is my first Orchidioides Utricularia, although I am getting a reniformis soon.
It's somewhat ironic, but for me, the old Iperua group has been somewhat tougher than most of the original Orchidioides. I've been growing many of the Iperua for years and still have not found 'ideal' growing conditions for them. U. nephrophylla is a gorgeous little weed (so it's easy & doesn't count). My 1st U. reniformis flowers were a few months ago & it seemed like a fluke. I've not gotten any flowers from U. humboldtii or U. geminiloba --- what's up with that??
bananaman wrote:I recently joined TF just to learn more about utrics, because there isn't much on them here.
Yeah - they're definitely an unappreciated group and to make it even more difficult, some of the older, super-experienced growers have faded away -- major bummer. Even on this forum, Moof used to post all the time on utrics (one example) but he gave up his plants a year or so ago & rarely posts anymore.... :(
bananaman wrote:I really hope my humbo will take off for me.
Good luck with it. For reasons unknown to me, many people struggle with it. Feel free to share pics, ask questions and share new info on anything you learn - especially if you manage to get some flowers!
RL7836 liked this
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!