By Volle
nice list!

how long have you been in the hobby? :D
Volle liked this
By Jimbok3
Volle wrote:nice list!

Thanks!
Well when I was in 8th grade I had 2 cp's (nepenthes and d. spatulata) but when those died I decided not to get any more Carnivorous plants. I was still caring for many other plants. Jump forward about 5 or 6 years.... I got a pot full of multiple little sundews and two scarlet belle's in June and my collection basically began then. It wasn't to hard for me to care for them and learn about them (though I've spent more time on research then regular life :lol: it's so addicting). Your list will soon grow like crazy too, and not only with carnivorous plants!

What about you, how long have you been with this wallet draining hobby? :lol:
By Jimbok3
New plants!!!

D. Burmannii (giant red form) NEW From Ras
D. Affinsis NEW From Ras

Seeds!

D. Spatulata var. Bakoensis (seeds) NEW From Ras
D. Spatulata 'Tamlin' (seeds) NEW From Ras
D. intermedia Cuba (seeds) NEW From Ras
D. intermedia Romaria (seeds) NEW From Ras
By Jimbok3
Well P. Primuliflora seems to love forming plantlets on it's leaves!! I now have 7 healthy plantlets and 1 that may not make it. I'm going to sell them once their established in their own pots (so many plants so little space :lol:)
Last edited by Jimbok3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Volle
Jimbok3 wrote:Unfortunately the second Heliamphora Heterodoxa X Minor did not arrive in good condition, and it has died. it had one leaf the was still slightly alive but rotting at the base so I removed it and hopefully it will root.

New plants!

2 Tillandsia Bulbosa
1 Tillandsia Caulescens
1 Tillandsia Recurvifolia (meridionalis)
1 Tillandsia Schiedeana

D. Burrmanii seeds have sprouted!
a little correction on naming species
the Genus always has its first letter capitalized while the species has its first letter low-caps unless it is a hybrid
Tillandsia bulbosa is correct

hybrids on the other hand, are named like this:
Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle'

Question to all growers:
how is "x" used?
say, P. x Sethos?
By Jimbok3
Volle wrote:
Jimbok3 wrote:Unfortunately the second Heliamphora Heterodoxa X Minor did not arrive in good condition, and it has died. it had one leaf the was still slightly alive but rotting at the base so I removed it and hopefully it will root.

New plants!

2 Tillandsia Bulbosa
1 Tillandsia Caulescens
1 Tillandsia Recurvifolia (meridionalis)
1 Tillandsia Schiedeana

D. Burrmanii seeds have sprouted!
a little correction on naming species
the Genus always has its first letter capitalized while the species has its first letter low-caps unless it is a hybrid
Tillandsia bulbosa is correct

hybrids on the other hand, are named like this:
Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle'

Question to all growers:
how is "x" used?
say, P. x Sethos?
I know, I was just copy and pasting the names from my purchase from ebay.

And "x" is used to show which species were combined for the hybrid. Example, when crossing N. talangensis with N. veitchii the resulting hybrid is written as N. talangensis x veitchii
By Volle
Jimbok3 wrote:
Volle wrote:nice list!

Thanks!
Well when I was in 8th grade I had 2 cp's (nepenthes and d. spatulata) but when those died I decided not to get any more Carnivorous plants. I was still caring for many other plants. Jump forward about 5 or 6 years.... I got a pot full of multiple little sundews and two scarlet belle's in June and my collection basically began then. It wasn't to hard for me to care for them and learn about them (though I've spent more time on research then regular life :lol: it's so addicting). Your list will soon grow like crazy too, and not only with carnivorous plants!

What about you, how long have you been with this wallet draining hobby? :lol:

wallet draining? ;P not that i'm rich, i just don't buy too often.
i've been in the hobby for 5 or 6 months and i currently have 5 and half (i consider a Nepenthes basal half until it grows bigger) i'm planning to improve their health this Christmas :D

i cant ask for CPs in Christmas cuz they don't know where to look even if they did find my supplier, they don't know how to contact him xD instead i'll ask for wallet-draining supplies xD

i seep to have this pitcher thumb if you will i've been doing great with Sarracenia and Nepenthes haven't had any other pitcher plants cuz idk where to find
Last edited by Volle on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Daniel_G
Volle :)

For a plain species, I still use capitals, even though incorrect ;)
For a hyrbid of S Flava and S Minor, It'd be S x Flava x Minor. If the Minor was the mother plant, It'd be S x Minor x Flava

Now, say we cross that last plant with S x Moorei x Oreophila.
Then, we add brackets, so it'd be S x (Minor x Flava) x (Moorei x Oreophila)

We do this so we know what's hybridised with what.

Now, if we cross that plant with a Purpurea, we add more brackets. And it becomes;

S x [(Minor x Flava) x (Moorei x Oreophila)] x Purpurea

Now, one more, for a bit of fun. Let's add some Rubra...

S x {[(Minor x Flava) x (Moorei x Oreophila)] x Purpurea} x Rubra

For Cultivars, we simply use ' Either side.
So Adrian Slack is 'Adrian Slack' For clones, we use " Either side. So Cephalotus Vigorous becomes Cephalotus "Vigorous" This is to show that the plant has a quality, but not worth cultivar status.

I hope I may have helped ever so slightly :D
Daniel_G liked this
By Jimbok3
2 plant deaths :(
S. Purpurea Venosa *
Flava var. Atropurpurea X Var Ornata *

Fungal infection killed them :(

Good news:
-seeds (some germinated and the seedlings are getting bigger and showing characteristics of the species!)
D. Burrmanii hong kong
D. sessifolia
1 D. Spatulata var. Lovellae

And I have some plants that i'll be selling soon (a few Drosera species)
By Jimbok3
I have a big update on the way, additions and losses. A large number of the new plants are non-carnivorous.

As spring grows closer (bad joke) I will be propagating sundews by request for trade or sale. Let me know now what you may be interested in (all forms of D. Burrmanii , D. sessifolia, and D. Spatulata var. Lovellae are not going to be available, sorry). When it comes to trades I'm pretty open to anything I don't have on my grow list but prefer them to be non-temperate (tuberous species are my exception).
By Jimbok3
Well it has been a long time since I've been on, this last semester was killer. Unfortunately during this busy semester a fungal infection ran rampant through my collection killing quite a few plants. The other plants are doing fine (some recovering) and I have much more free time now to be on the forum and start growing my collection again (putting a bog garden in soon :mrgreen: so I don't have to give them an indoor dormancy again).
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!