FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jamie fowler
I have a Nepenthes Rafflesiana (Monkey Cup) and I’m wondering if it’s worth cutting off the dead and dying cups, would this benefit the plant or should I just leave it alone and if I’m going to trim them where do I need to trim them from. All replies welcome…..
By CPcaregiver
Cutting off old pitchers has no real benefit or disadvantage to a nep, as long it's healthy. The only reason to do so would be to make the plant more visually appealing. I'd advise at least waiting until all the pitcher w/ vine is brown and dead before trimming, to eliminate the slight chance of infection. But it doesn't matter much, I cut mine right after they lose their color. :roll:
Happy growing!
By jamie fowler
Would you cut the vine at the end of the leaf or further back nearer the root ball…?
By snapperhead51
Hi Jamie
usually the best thing is to cut the tendril at the tip of the leaf then you dont have a unsightly black stick looking tendril after a few weeks sticking out from the leaf end.and cutting them off as CPcaregiver said is purely for looks , but in high humidity conditions will prevent fungal and other diseases from occurring.
Referring to you thread post , as monkey cup , , its really not true , monkeys never sit it a nepenthe pitcher , never ever seen one in all my trips !!, usually the pitchers are just to small to do so,think way back, some one may have seen a baby money in a large pitcher playing , possibly this was where it may have come from but unsure, the best way to describe the specie is Nepenthe or Nepenthe's or shortened as Nep , rather than a obscure reference to the specie , not have a go at you , just think is good to now the best way to refer the plant , because I'm passionate about them , some my say over indulgent or worse
john
By BoothEatsBUGS
From what I've read from various internet sources the term "monkey cup" came about because apparently monkeys would drink the water/fluid from the nepenthes pitchers. Can't remember the source but I'm sure if you google it you'll find your answer lol
By jamie fowler
Great replies Thanks for the advice….
La Grosse A GuiGui

Can’t believe I haven’t shown this one[…]

Schuppenstiel I

Update on Schuppenstiel I

Kim jong-un

Update on this awesome plant!

FTS Flaming lips

Update on FTS Flaming Lips

Werewolf

Update on Werewolf

South west giant

Update on South West Giant

Creeping Death

Update on Creeping Death, incredible how different[…]

Jaws

Update on Jaws

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!