FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
Upon browsing the forum tonight, I stumbled across a review Matt wrote on an order from PetFlytrap.com. Reading this thread got me wanting a red flytrap. At first, I wanted a Bohemian Garnet, then I wanted a FTS Crimson Red. Basically, I cannot decide what I want, and even if it is worth getting now. I am looking for an exotic looking red flytrap that is not a miniature. Nothing too exotic, but a slight stray from normal. I am also asking for a recommendation based on the current supply FTS has (which would be the ones Matt and Steve would want for themselves based on what they are currently growing).

If it is in my best interest to wait until next growing season, I will. But just wondering if there is anything that currently stands out that you two might recommend? Matt's last recommendation for me to get Jaws worked out perfectly.
Starchy liked this
By jwbates26
I'm not sure why you ask for recommendations. Its going to be your plant and if you want one from FTS look on the website for the ones in stock read the description and pick one that best fits your wants.

I used to work in the hardware store at Walmart while in college. I never understood why people asked me what color should I paint my room. Its their house they have to live with it and the colors I like may be completely opposite then theirs.

But since you asked FTS Crimson Sawtooth. Big traps, vigorous grower and great color.
By Starchy
jwbates26 wrote:I'm not sure why you ask for recommendations. Its going to be your plant and if you want one from FTS look on the website for the ones in stock read the description and pick one that best fits your wants.

I used to work in the hardware store at Walmart while in college. I never understood why people asked me what color should I paint my room. Its their house they have to live with it and the colors I like may be completely opposite then theirs.

But since you asked FTS Crimson Sawtooth. Big traps, vigorous grower and great color.
I asked because I cannot see the actual plants they are growing. Maybe of all the crimson reds they have in the nursery, there is a way better looking bohemian garnet (at this point in time). I am only looking at pictures of other VFTs of the same cultivar by looking at the website. Also, I have never grown a red flytrap, so I was asking for the opinions of the experts. Of course I will ultimately make the final decision to listen to the opinions or not. But asking for them isn't a crime in my opinion.
Starchy liked this
By pieguy452
Both of them are great flytraps. FTS crimson sawtooth tends to grow larger than Bohemian Garnet and has a nice deep red coloration. However, I have found that Bohemian Garnet will exhibit a more vivid coloration, and Bohemian Garnet divides like crazy (40+ offshoots in a single growing season). Personally, I prefer Bohemian Garnet over the FTS crimson sawtooth although it's a close call.
pieguy452 liked this
By Matt
pieguy summed up the characteristics of FTS Crimson Sawtooth and Bohemian Garnet well. Bohemian Garnet is a bit smaller of a plant than the FTS Crimson Sawtooth. It is a low grower and tends to divide a lot. Crimson Sawtooth grows more upright during the spring and summer months, has nice thick leaf-bases (whereas Red Piranha has long, thin ones) and can get quite large.

I prefer FTS Crimson Sawtooth over all of the red sawtooth varieties, though like pieguy says, it's a close call!
Matt liked this
By Starchy
pieguy452 wrote:Both of them are great flytraps. FTS crimson sawtooth tends to grow larger than Bohemian Garnet and has a nice deep red coloration. However, I have found that Bohemian Garnet will exhibit a more vivid coloration, and Bohemian Garnet divides like crazy (40+ offshoots in a single growing season). Personally, I prefer Bohemian Garnet over the FTS crimson sawtooth although it's a close call.
when you say offshoots, are you referring to new plant centers from division?
By Matt
Starchy wrote:when you say offshoots, are you referring to new plant centers from division?
Yes, new plants from division. Bohemian Garnet usually produces dozens of divisions on the "old" side of the rhizome. Flytraps typically put out growth in one direction, so one side of the rhizome is new growth and the other side is old, dying growth. That old, dying growth usually results in new plants. And in the case of Bohemian Garnet, it results in dozens of new plants every season.
By Leah
Hi Starchy,

As far as my insider scoop as to which of these still look great in the greenhouses right now (aren't fully into dormancy yet), Holland Red and FTS Crimson Sawtooth would be my recommendations. They look ah-mazing. They're both a really deep maroon color right now, too, which as you know can change over the season and depending on the enivronment.

As far as whether to get one right now or not, I think you'll still have some time to enjoy the bigger traps before they fully go into dormancy, but they have indeed sacrificed their largest traps already. Some people have told me this is great fun for them and they prefer it, because they get to have an awesome surprise in Spring, watching their VFT come back, and they enjoy the interesting phase of dormancy. For some, they prefer to wait until the bigger traps are all back on.

(Note: If you check out the Facebook feed/timeline photos (http://www.facebook.com/flytrapstore), you'll see pics of Holland Red and FTS Crimson Sawtooth that I took in the last couple days- beyootiful! P.S. Fused Tooth still looks awesome too- love that cultivar....just interior trap red though, not the entire plant).

Leah
FlytrapStore.com
Leah liked this
By Starchy
I went with the FTS Crimson Sawtooth. I chose the potted young plant hoping that would decrease the shock it will go through. I won't re-pot it until the spring. Thanks everyone for your help in my decision. I am very excited.

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!